2002 Sebring - paint scratches/chips --normal?

Just bought a 2002 Sebring, previously owned, 9 months old since date it was put into service, 13,000 mi. I LOVE THIS CAR! BUT... what I'm noticing are more little chips out of the paint than I would expect for a car this new. And small scratches that I feel certain were not there, beginning to show up almost every time I wash it. Either the dealer detailed this car in such a way that the "cover-up" is wearing off and I'm seeing the true condition revealed -- OR -- the paint is very fragile and any little gravel that bounces up is chipping the paint! Is this normal? The plastic bumper on the front has many (many) small chips in it (which I guess I would expect) --but I take exceptionally good care not to scratch this car when washing/waxing and it seems to be accumulating small scratches too easily. There are no service bulletins that I could find on the paint. The car is steel blue pearlcoat, and I understand that blue metallics are more delicate --could this be the problem? thanks for any thoughts, Michelle

Reply to
Michelle S.

Michelle,

You sound just like me; which can be considered bad ;-)

I have a 300M in black; my first mistake. Any dark colored car will show flaws more so than a light color car like white and silver.

The most common problem is trucks and to a lesser degree cars. Both kick-up or toss small rocks. There's nothing you can do about it except keeping your distance from trucks; especially the ones that deliver stones.

I also had a perfect paint job as I purchased the car new. I washed, polished and waxed the car as often as possible but to no avail. Small scratches kept showing up even though I use a chamois to dry and a microfiber towel for polishing and waxing.

The next place to avoid is the car wash. Here, most towels are used over again before their put to the washing machine. Some cars that go through the car wash might even be rusty in which case the little rust the towel picks up is then used on your car. Unfortunately, if you live in an area that gets bad winters there's not much you can do about it.

My suggestion is to keep caring for it the way you have been and use good products like meguiars and mothers and you'll be fine. If you ever drop a cloth or sponge, be sure to wash it out before using it again as you can pick up small objects that will scratch your paint.

There's also a couple of options that help. 1) Purchase a hood reflector and or a bra. If you use the bra, be sure to purchase a quality one and remove it everytime you wash.

Good luck and enjoy that car.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

Ken is right. This is going to happen no matter what. MY Eagle Talon sits so low in the front that it CATCHES :( every piece of grit that is thrown up from the highway. There is so much construction going on, on the highways nowdays that the sand/grit/gravel/rocks are everywhere. Besides having a bra on the car, you have to grin and bare it. I always triple wax the front end of my car, may help and can't hurt.

Reply to
Richard Benner Jr

Take a look at the airflow around these aerodynamic cars compared to the old square boxes. The way the airflow runs along the body gives you a better chance of taking a stone or other shrapnel to damage the paint or glass.

Reply to
Steve Stone

Michelle, be aware of any stray cats running around in your neighborhood. Claws are hell on paint jobs.

Rob.

Reply to
robs

thanks, Rob-- yes there are a few of those around here... Really, other than the occasional warm hood in winter, you have to wonder, Why do cats want to walk on cars?! Another of life's mysteries. Michelle

| Michelle, be aware of any stray cats running around in your neighborhood. | Claws are hell on paint jobs. | | Rob. | |

Reply to
Michelle S.

Thanks, Ken, Richard, and Steve for your helpful input on this. I thought something was wrong with the car, and I'm SO GLAD it's not a paint problem but a universal fact of life on the road. Unfortunately, when I have waxed the car, the nicks show up as white-- I'll have to find a wax that is dark! Good idea to apply extra to the front end. Now I can just go ahead and enjoy this wonderful car-- This Sebring is the most fun to drive of any car I've had in 30+ years on the road... little nicks and all! And for looks, the whole Chrysler line is gorgeous, if you ask me. --Michelle

| |

Reply to
Michelle S.