2003/2004 Grand Cherokee Reliability?

Choice is down to three vehicles:

Pathfinder

4-Runner Grand Cherokee

All other considerations - features, off-road, whatnot - all are factored in so are moot at this point.

I know that the first two are decently reliable. What about the Grand Cherokee? I can't seem to locate hard data on reliability for the last year or so other than everyone seeming to say "Oh - Jeeps have questionable quality..."(especially all of the reviews)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

A friend has one with a zillion miles on it and quite old. One mechanical repair (something like rear differential) and paint is starting to come off. Looks new inside.

Reply to
Art Begun

Look up the April issue of Consumer Reports in any library.

Reply to
Lloyd Parker

I just sent them an email wondering(politely) how the raw data for 2002 shows all above average and excellent(full red and half red) in every category and not a single white, half-black, or full-black area, and it gets written up as full-black on reliability.

Never mind their assinine whining about how a SUV should drive like a car and how they purposely test the Jeeps with the smallest engine they can get, then mark it down for being anemic. Q: is this industry-wide, or just CR that has an axe to grind with real off-road type SUVs(ie - Jeep/Dodge).

I also note they hate anything GM makes. Their Yukon is pretty decent off-road compared to most of the Honda and Mitsubishi crud, though reading all the magazines - they fall over themselves how great the Element is, despite the fact that it can't even GO off-road. NO low-range. Suspension not built for anything worse than snow. SUV my butt.

"Oh - Jeep - it sucks. Everyone knows that." seems to be printed and re-printed and the only raw data I've seen is good to excellent in all areas for 2002(and on, since it is the same stinking vehicle)

I'll get back to you on their response. It seems as if there is a lot of biggotry in the press or something as they just flat-out seem to have this attitude like they did when Hyundai started making their newer(and quite reliable I might add) more recent vehicles.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Wrong. The individual categories do not refer to average (or better or worse) but to an absolute % of people reporting problems in those areas.

Because the overall reliability IS compared to that of other vehicles.

Reply to
Lloyd Parker

Reply to
mic canic