2003 3.8 ping / knock

I have a 2003 Chrysler mini-van with the 3.8 engine - 6,000 miles. It pings lightly under load in all gears. Somewhat more when cold, but also when warm.

I have tried all octanes from 87 to 93 - with no change. Octane makes no difference (which I find interesting).

One dealer said that there's nothing that can be done about it. I find this disturbing in a 30K vehicle.

I've searched the internet, but can't find anything relevent to this engine and "ping". This can't be normal. I had a 1996 with the 3.8 and it never pinged. My father-in-law has a 2000 with the 3.8, and his never pings.

Anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this ping? Are there any other systems or components that may be faulty and are causing this?

I'd like to go to another dealer, but would like to have some "ammunition" before going.

Thanks,

Pete

Reply to
emblemex

I find this very strange as this engine has a knock sensor. The computer should not be allowing it to ping.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Reply to
mic canic

Wow - hey I posted this same problem on a TC forum. Its good to know I am not alone. 2003 TC EX 3.8 and yes ping under load going up a slight grade. Sounds like a light/faint ticking coming from engine.

What are the long term ramifications of this?

Also, anyone notice the engine runs rough the next time you start it if you had briefly started and then quickly shut it off?

Can someone elaborate on what a PCM flash would do for ping?

Reply to
Wantomeeto

A bad EGR system can cause a ping under load (among other things I'm sure). If the EGR is always ON, it can cause this problem. The EGR should be active only during cruise, not during idle and not during wide open throttle.

The EGR dilutes the intake gases to reduce the termperature of combustion below that which produces Nitrous Oxide. During idle, the engine is too sensitive to changes in the air/fuel mixture and will run roughly and stall. During wide open throttle, the engine won't produce the desired power with the EGR on and will cause pinging.

Reply to
David Allen

Reply to
mic canic