2003 Caravan dead PCM

2003 Dodge Caravan w/ 76,500 miles has dead PCM. Dealer is quoting $110

for repair. This seems very high for unplugging and plugging in computer. Can someone please explain the level of work required for thi repair? I understand the PCM is around $450, but why is the instal $650? Also I asked about coverage under the 8/80 Federal Emission Regulation and the dealer is denying warrenty coverage, because they ar saying that the problem/diagnoses of the problem did not stem from a emissions issue. (even though section B of the regulation explicitl states that manufacture defects/failures are covered

-- sonnyg

----------------------------------------------------------------------- sonnyg9's Profile:

this thread:

sonnyg9

There is no need to explain the cost. Take and back and tell them to install one at no charge!!! The PCM is covered under the emssion warranty for

8years/80k miles. Assuming this module has not been altered/or damaged due to an accident. If you have an owners manual look on the back page for the toll free number for Chrysler.If you dont have an owners manual go to this site and download the warranty manual.
click warranty in the center. Glenn Beasley Chrysler tech
Reply to
maxpower

Glenn - thanks for confirming this for me. I called back to th

dealership and spoke with the service manager after posting thi question and got the same story about the failure needing to be linke to an emissions test failure to be covered and was referred to sectio

5.2 of the warranty manual for justification of this claim. I tried t explain to him that's not how the federal regulation or the warrant manual reads and asked for the general manager of the dealership and wa told he was unavailable. The service manager then quipped that even i it were covered I was still responsible for a sizeable bill for th diagnostic work to track the problem to the PCM. Interestingly enough, already had a diagnostic test run by a local service center before goin to the dealer and they were able to tell me within an hour that the PC was the problem, but they were unable to fix the problem so I had i towed to the dealership (I didn't inquire as to why I just took the gu at his word that he couldn't do the repair). I told the dealership whe I dropped off the van what the previous service center has said, bu they still ran their own diagnostic tests anyway. I guess my next cal will be to Chrysler's customer service departmen

-- sonnyg

----------------------------------------------------------------------- sonnyg9's Profile:

this thread:

sonnyg9

take it to another dealer if there is one in the area.

Glenn

-- Message posted using

information at

damnnickname

"sonnyg9" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.cardealerforums.com...

Worst than that. At that price they instal rebuilt PCM because if you dont give the old one in exchange, they charge you an extra 300$. The price include the re-programing to your serial number. In fact, it cost to me

1700$ for both PCM and BCM (not sure of the lettres) cause they go in pair. If you have an anti thief or anti start, disconnect it before doing anything as it might be it that keep your car from starting. I found that out after all the repair, as they finaly disconnected it telling me that it was interfering with the starting even with the new PCM but they could do nothing as the PCM could not be returned because it has been programed only for my car. So I have paid for nothing. I complained directely to Chrysler and the only answer I got is that they are gone refered my complaint to my garage. Hoping you understand well my english as I live in french Québec. Good luck. L.G.R.
Reply to
L.G.R.

Reply to
philthy