2003 Caravan power steering noise

Kind of a whining/groaning sound at all RPM's. Seemed no brainer to me that it was the pump, so I replaced that. However, to my surprise, it had zero effect on the problem. I've read some TSB's about the lines causing similar problems, and that extending the return line effects "shudder" at low speed, so last night I get under there and notice they are vibrating pretty good. Anyone have any similar experience? I'd like to know exactly what's going on before I dump a bunch of time into replacing the gear, when maybe it was just the hoses.

Dll

"Dll" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

I have a 2002 GC that HAD that problem. I believe for the 2002, there was recall C-20 to take care of it. Basically replace the hydraulilc lines. When they heat up the bend causes the hose to pinch - thus the noise you hear when it's cold is the fluid squeezing past the collapsed kink of the hose.

Of course they replaced the entire rack/pin assembly [to no effect] before the recall notice came out.

Reply to
Steph

The recall(s) you are referring to was not to take care of a noise. It involved the replacement of hoses because they could split and cause fluid to run out possibly causing a fire

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
philthy

This is the time of the year when all the Power steering noises start to come back. As I stated last year, It isn't a pressure problem that we are seeing in the shop, Its a flow (restriction) or air in the system problem and most are fixed performing TSB's, repairing the leak or flushing the system. Check the Archives and see how complaints there have been on Power steering noises in the fall spring or summer.I cant remember when the last time I had to replace a power steering pump to fix a steering issue. I use any special tool if I feel it is needed to diagnose a problem

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
philthy

Turns out my system just had air in it. Also seems the air is particularly hard to purge on these cars, likely because the reservoir is away from the pump, rather than the pump being submersed like most cars.

I had done the wheels off the ground and steer to both sides thing a few times, but this had no effect, so I was certain the pump was making the noise.

Ended up following a service bulletin where you buy this butt plug that allows you to apply vacuum to the P/S for a few mins to get the air bubble to expand and rise to the top. I didn't think it was going to do anything, but $30 for a custom rubber cork with a tube through it somehow didn't seem so bad, and it worked. No more noise. I had to repeat it 3-4 times over a few days, though, to get all the air out. Crazy. The tranny fluid seems to hold air and foam more than P/S fluid, as well. Wonder how many racks and pumps have been replaced when it was just air.

Dll

If it was caused by "just air" how does the air get into the system to begin with ?

Reply to
Mike

particularly

The pump is submersed in fluid like other cars. The air normally gets in thru the tie rod inner seals or the cooler hoses leaking

Normally the fluid level gets low and causes this problem, no leaks are found because the inner tie rod seals leak the fluid and the fluid gets trapped in the inner tie rod dust boot bellows

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

"Mike"

There were no leaks or low fluid. The car was based in Chicago but developed the problem soon after arriving in Denver area. So maybe something with the altitude.

What I think is that if you have the slightest bit of air in there, it gets churned into foam, perhaps therefore mixing in even more air during its brief stay in the reservoir and gets worse thereafter. Like I said, it was really hard to get all the air out of there, but now that I have, the problem has been gone for over 10 days or so.

We'll see. I'd never heard of the vacuum thing until I read the service bulletin, so I suspect Chrysler is pretty aware of the (or some) phenomena.

Dll