2003 GrCaravan 40000 miles - flushing brake fluid?

Dealer said to flush the brake fluid. It is not mentioned in the Service Schedule , does it really need to be done. And if yes, de we use Mopar Fluid ? Thanks

Reply to
cosza

Replacing the old fluid is a good idea by doing this it's prevenetive maintenance and fresh fluid is always better and your brake pedal my feel a little bit more firm.

Thanks Earl

Reply to
Bentracer and Bentrider

It's a good idea to remove water and other contaminants from the system. However, if you have ABS, I think that you will need a scanner to do the job.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

Reply to
Dipstick

Care to expand your thought? I know I always learn from one word answers but maybe many others don't......

Reply to
The Henchman

OK. You're talking about a sealed hydraulic system. 4 years and

40,000 miles is nothing. Neither is 10 years and a million miles. The only reason you would ever need to replace the brake fluid is if your fluid became contaminated. The easiest way to contaminate it is to open the system to change the fluid! If you have had no leaks, no damage, haven't replaced any parts in the hydraulic system, and haven't run the reservoir dry (thus introducing air), then there is absolutely no reason to flush the fluid. Other than making a few bucks for the local dealer. And you won't run the reservoir dry unless one of those other things has happened.

At most, your dealer is going to spend 3 minutes sucking the fluid out of your reservoir (only) and pour a few ounces of new fluid in and charge you an exhorbitant fee for the "service." He isn't about to flush the system.

Reply to
Dipstick
40,000 miles is nothing. Neither is 10 years and a million miles. The only reason you would ever need to replace the brake fluid is if your fluid became contaminated. The easiest way to contaminate it is to open the system to change the fluid! If you have had no leaks, no damage, haven't replaced any parts in the hydraulic system, and haven't run the reservoir dry (thus introducing air), then there is absolutely no reason to flush the fluid. Other than making a few bucks for the local dealer. And you won't run the reservoir dry unless one of those other things has happened.

I tend to disagree with this. Heat can and does alter the properties of brake fluid. Check the differences in Dot 3 and Dot 4 fluids to start. As brake fluid absorbs moisture, it turns a yellowish color and does not tolerate high heat as well.

At most, your dealer is going to spend 3 minutes sucking the fluid out of your reservoir (only) and pour a few ounces of new fluid in and charge you an exhorbitant fee for the "service." He isn't about to flush the system.

And I suppose you know what I'm having for supper too... With a vacuum brake bleeder, it takes about a half hour to bleed four wheels...unless the bleeder are rusted and don't come loose.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Reply to
Dipstick

I think that a scanner is only needed if you get air in the system.

ABS pumps are sensitive to moisture, so regular flushing makes sense for ABS equipped systems.

Reply to
Whoever

Define normal. Some people are alot harder on brakes than others.

It isn't subjected to moisture unless you have another

Some manufactures do. Benz does and not the Chrysler side.

But if you want to flush

You don't know me and I sure don't know you so this is the first thing you've said that I agree with. All I can tell you is what I've seen on an everyday basis.

Have a good day

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Using an inexpensive "one hand bleader" tool, I recently flushed out the fluid in my 01 PT Cruiser, 04 Chrysler mini-van and my 98 RAV4. I used DOT 4 synthetic fluid. I can report that all 3 vehicles benefited from this attention. Better brake feel and a firmer pedal. Since the fluid is hydroscopic (takes in water) it is a good idea to flush the fluid out every few years, IMO.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard