2004 Sebring Sedan - should I buy it?

I just put a refundable deposit on a 2004 Sebring Touring Sedan with the Summer Luxury package. I REALLY like it and think I got a good price- Especially with the 0% financing.

Then I got home and did google searches on the car and found LOTS of problems with the 2.7L V6. Now I'm scared !

Does anyone know if these "Oil Sludge" problems have been corrected? Is the

2004 gonna give me trouble? The dealer says that with proper maintenance, I can get 200K easily out of the engine. There are websites out there that say I won't get more than 30 or 40K miles. They also seem to say the dealer won't honor the warranty and will claim its my fault for not changing the oil regularly.

I need advice and I need it fast!

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
Tchmuzk

As always, you will get varying advice. I have an '04 Sebring 'vert and immediately switched to synthetic oil to head off sludging. There is a lot of discussion about what causes the problem but I think the most recent concensus is that the oil does not heat up enough to burn off condensation when the car is frequently used on short trips. Love my car, like the engine, but think the tranny is the weak link (it is neurotic -- after driving it awhile you will see what I mean). My brother, who works at a Dodge dealership, told me that the mechanics recommend 2.5k mile oil changes but like the engine.

YMMV. Good luck.

maintenance,

Reply to
Bryan

Comparison shop the price with online services such as carsdirect.com. If your deal still looks good, then go for it.

The 2.7L has more than it's fair share of problem reports. Do a search on other, competing products and see what you come up with. You'll find that the Internet is usually quite negative on most products, because it's where people go to bitch about things. On the other hand, people with the Japanese car religion seem to think they've got something really special in the Accord or Camry, but I defy you to find a Honda or Toyota dealership with an empty service department complete with the mechanics playing tiddlywinks in the middle of the shop floor.

Word of design changes to address the issue hasn't been forthcoming. It is clearly tied to maintenance.

All cars give trouble to varying degrees. Tis the nature of the beast. Regular, quality maintenance alleviates this.

Hyperbole.

Maintain good records of the oil changes -- receipts showing the mileage -- and you'd be able to disprove any such claims.

My parents just picked up an '04 Sebring with the 2.7L. It is a nice vehicle for the price. It came with a book of coupons for free oil changes for the life of the vehicle at the dealership at no (apparent) extra charge. I'd say that your eyes are open here, and you know what you're getting going in. Few people buy cars that are absolutely problem-free for their entire service life.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

My buddy purchased one recently. I had one as a rental for a week. Nice and comfortable car, but very expensive on gas. The gearing is totally off on that car. Even if you only step on the gas pedal 1/4 down it will shift at

4000 rpm.

maintenance,

Reply to
Black Bomb

It shouldn't be doing that! My engine rarely revs above 2500 RPM, unless I'm goosing it. This is true both on my 2004 Sebring OR my wife's 2003 Stratus (same car). Your buddy needs to get the dealer to check that out!

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I use synthetic oil in my Sebring (and my wife's Stratus), which should take care of the sludge issue. If you drive more than 15 miles per trip, you may not need synthetic...just change it at 3K miles. Mine came with free oil change coupons. I'd buy it.

Reply to
James C. Reeves