2004 T&C Howling Rear Hubs

Hi All -- newby poster here, but long time lurker.

My rear hubs have a major howl to them. It took Dodge service forever to find the issue as it used to take the hubs warming up before they made the howl. They always thought it had to be the (rear disk) brakes. Luckily when I was heading back to the shop with the mechanic after a 45min ride, the howl appeared. They were able to reproduce and replaced under warrantee.

Well, now I'm off warrantee and the howl is back with a vengence. Is there any history of this issue? Is replacing the hubs something I can do myself?

Thanks for all the help along the way.

GoreTexJoe

Reply to
GoreTexJoe

Brakes are 12/12. if it is a hub/bearing that would be a 3/36 item. If you complained about the problem and have it documented while you were still under the 3/36 within a resonable time you should get it covered.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

Yes, you never said what, exactly, was replaced to fix the problem the first time. Was it the hubs?

What was the explanation for why the problem happened in the first place?

I never let a shop get off with just a simple "oh, this needs to be replaced...", because I know full well that the problem may return after warranty is gone. This is especially true with dealer "genuine" parts.

When I was having my trans serviced reently, I was talking about various makes, and the guy said that GM actually has Phenolic gears in some of their trans now! This "reduces weight, and makes the trans more quiet"!!!! What a JOKE! I work in electronics, and years ago PCBs used to be maade pf phenolic! A CHEAP material that absolutely will NOT stand up to the punishment doled out by day to day driving. Any transmission using such parts is DOOMED to fail, and fail WAY sooner than the tranmissions of old. But if it should fail on warranty, GM will ONLY replace the part with another phenolic part - which they KNOW will fail prematurely - but likely off warranty.

Gotta try and keep the manufacturers and dealers h>Hi All -- newby poster here, but long time lurker.

Reply to
NewMan

A little off topic but didn't at one time Chrysler have a lifetime warranty on many parts replaced by a five star dealer? Or was that GM and their service plus dealers?

Kevin

Reply to
ks