2004 Town and Country groaning power steering.

Trying to find out about another problem with the minivan..

At low RPM sometimes, the power steering pump makes a whining/groaning sound. Sometimes, when it is making the sound and you turn the wheels, the steering rack makes the whole minivan vibrate as well. I have put the transmission in neutral a couple of the times this has happened and raised the RPM of the engine at the same time and the groaning lessens and the rack stops the vibration.

With 25,000 miles on the van, is this something that should be included in the warranty? I'd rather know before I call and try to deal with the service manager at the local dealer.. she's a real treat, let me tell you.

I found out a price on the pump already... it's pretty reasonable, and seems like it wouldn't be *too much* of a pain to change the thing, but...

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Nza

time to think about a different make of vehicle, i had a 2001' T&C 3.8 and have had 4 steering racks replaced besides other ongoing problems. i'm done with chrysler.

Reply to
Bentracer and Bentrider

I'd check the belt and tighten if loose (replace of course if needed) - it may be slipping and exciting a resonance. It probably came from the factory with ATF+4 in the p.s., but you might flush with fresh fluid (ATF+4 only) if the problem is not belt related. Probably belt.

Bill Putney

Common complaint with cold ambient temps, make sure the P/S reservoir is full, if not, top it off and check for leaks.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Have checked the belt, it is not loose. It is in good condition as well. The fluid looks normal and is at the proper level. Has never lost any fluid..

I'll try the flush. It's probably about time to change the transmission fluid as well..

Personally, I wouldn't necessarily choose a new chrysler as a new car, but i will never stop loving the old stuff..

Reply to
Nza

There is a TSB regarding this problem (19-006-05). It involves replacing and rerouting PS return lines and the addition of a finned cooler if it is not equipped. See dealer for parts and info and if your van applies.

Reply to
Road Runner

"Bentracer and Bentrider"

You'll be done with the next car you buy, too, if you keep going to the same mechanic. 4 racks - it ain't the rack.

More to the OP, I had the same problem. It was air in my lines. These systems seem to keep air really well - the noise was air cavitating in the pump. I replaced the pump to zero effect. There is also a TSB for purging air with a vacuum pump. That worked. I did the longer hose TSB and it was a waste of time. My van already had a cooler, and at 2004, yours probably does too. I also found I had to keep fluid up near the top of the Hot range, to keep it from sucking even more air in at startup.

Dll

That has been the biggest problem, air in system. People think by replacing pumps and racks and all that fix the problem but in reality the only thing fixing it is filling up the system and purging the air. Now if the End seals at the inner tie rod leak fluid.......the rack is toast.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

all work and parts were replaced by a Chrysler dealer, LRC in Elmhurst,IL

Reply to
Bentracer and Bentrider

Where did you find the bit about the vacuum pump? I have found one version of the TSB online, but unless I missed something, it doesn't say anything about that.. :)

I'll look to see if it has the cooler on there..

Is there a site that has all the TSBs listed without having to pay to see each one?

Reply to
Nza

Not sure exactly how to read your question, but you can pay one price ($25 first year, multi-car and annual renewal discounts) to see all of them:

You get access to schematics right out of the FSM (plus some incomplete procedural and technical info. mostly out of the FSM) with that subscription. If accurate and complete schematics and full TSB's is what you want (the other info. is kind of spotty), that's not a bad way to go.

Bill Putney

Ok, well I guess the way to read my posting was "i'm a cheap bastard".. LOL!

Guess i'll bite the bullet!

Reply to
Nza

Your local library may have a subscription to alldata, if they do not, ask them to get one. Ours does. However, you cannot access the database from home, you have to do it from the library computers.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Reply to