2004 Town and Country. Motor stops while driving

2004 Town and Country died while moving in traffic. I coasted to the shoulder of the road and, and noticed that the gauges were not registering motor function and all the other indicators on the dash were out. I turned the key off ( as it was in the run position ) and then restarted the engine. Everything operates as normal. What would cause this, is this a common fault.

Thanks in advanced,

Everett

Reply to
Everett Cotton

Sounds like a possible bad ignition switch, although that would be hard to believe for a 2004 model. Is it still under warranty? It might be best to take it to a dealer for complete diagnosis.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

Here's a long-shot, but it happened to me (dealer had the car numerous times & couldn't find the problem!)

Good luck, Bill.

Reply to
Bill

This was my thought also. I was thinking a possible ignition switch or ground, since the whole system is shutting down. This is my wife's van. Intermittent problems are the worse kind. Many thanks.

Everett

Reply to
Everett Cotton

Many thanks Bill I will check it out and post the results when and if I find the problem. Intermittent problems are the hardest to solve.

Everett

Reply to
Everett Cotton

i'm hearing more and more about the ghost stalling on these vans start by having fault codes checked and this include all mudules in the van

and check the battery cables just > Everett Cott> > 2004 Town and Country died while moving in traffic. I coasted to the

Reply to
philthy

philthy

NORMAL response from any business that does repairs. They cannot fix what isn't broke at the time they see it. If they guess and are wrong they are accused of being thieves, this is nothing new or special to car dealers.

Kevin

KS

The way I read that thread, the dealer was asked SPECIFICALLY - "Did you check the grounds?", then answer was "Yes.".

That answer was a lie in that case. Probably a junior mechanic was put on the car - even though you are paying full shop rate - and he or she checked the visible ground cable, not ALL the ground connections. The difference is subtle, but of ever increasing importance with more an more electronics in today's vehicles. Ground loops and flaoting connections can wreak havoc on electronic systems, and when those systems control real-world things like engines and anti-skid braking systems, then there is a real danger that things wont work as they were designed to, and that damage or injury could be the result.

You pay top dollar for work at a dealer. I don;t think you can even wipe your nose in a dealership of less than $100 these days. As a result, and I don't know about the rest of you, but I expect a higher standard of service from a dealer! Simply put your dealer is SUPPOSED to be an "expert" on your car. After all, they are the representative of the manufacurer who made the car! For the money they charge, they should be able to service it properly.

I realize intermittent problems are a pain in the neck. But I know Ford has a "black box" that can be connected to the car. This device records information about what is going on in the car with a 5 minute window in time. When the problem happens, your push a button on the box, and then drive back to the dealer. The information can then be reviewed to try and see what happened.

And I agree, shot-gunn>NORMAL response from any business that does repairs. They cannot fix what

NewMan

As for my problem with the dealer, I've been working on cars (mostly sports/ high performance) for over 40 years. It's a fine line to "advise" a dealership service advisor without coming off as a know-it-all. I'm sure that 80% of the drive-ups had a "car friend" write down what to tell the advisor, so they probably become a little numb to this input. Nonetheless, I was raised in a Chry/Ply family dealership and remember the service advisor was a former mechanic who was literally a trained-by-experience expert on all models - new and old. He even knew how to get the then-new Chry 300 C&D's running right! Because of this, I somehow expect to drive into an "Authorized Chrysler Dealer" and speak to someone who knows the products and has a few gray hairs and scars on his hands from actual experience. What seems to be the norm today,however, is being greeted by a slick salesman-type who's probably under pressure to get the service department profits higher & higher. I realize that this varies by dealership, but there was certainly something to be said for the "old way" where a service writer had a little grease under his fingernails and lots of relevant knowledge upstairs. JMO, Bill.

Reply to
Bill

No, I think they are under pressure to keep the service department profitable at all. With the way the manufacturers are squeezing allowable hours on warranty repairs these days, and the fact that most of the work the dealership sees is warranty work, I can't understand how these shops can possibly be profitable unless they are pushing a lot of useless junk like fuel injector flushes and suchlike along with the actual repair work.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

philthy