2006 Grand Caravan -- power locks/keyless entry question

Am new to Dodge family but just purchased a used 2006 Grand Caravan.

The van comes with power locks and windows and I assumed when I purchased that this included keyless entry. When I took a test drive the salesman said he couldn't find the proper keys and brought the "spare" key. It was a standard car key with a grey plastic housing around the large head of the key. When I went to pick up the van he gave me the same key and said they were still having trouble finding the master key but he would get it to me in a couple of days. At this point in time I questioned him as to whether the vehicle had keyless entry or not...he told me it does not, only power locks.

As I said, I am new to the Dodge line and I'm not sure if he is telling the truth or not. Every other manufacturer seems to include keyless entry in their most basic model of car so I was surprised to hear the Grand Caravan did not. Was keyless entry standard on the

2006 Grand Caravan? If not, is there any way I can tell whether this vehicle has this option installed?

He is quoting me around $400 to install a factory keyless entry system...this seems quite steep to me. Does this sound right? Are there any 3rd party keyless entry systems you might recommend? A self install model would be great....looking to save some $$$ here.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

If you e mail me the last 8 numbers of the vin I can look it up for you when I go to work. It is not a standard option

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

hell for 400 hundred you can get a kickbut remote start and keyless entry system get the directed electronics system

dealer > Am new to Dodge family but just purchased a used 2006 Grand Caravan. >

Reply to
philthy

Yeah well the sales guy is probably pulling a fast one on you. The guy they repossessed the van from kept the remotes and the dealership doesen't want to eat the cost of new remotes and the labor to program them.

"...wheels, keyless entry and ..."

You have the VIN they are a dealership. Have them pull the buildsheet from the factory on this one. If it is a "chipped" anti-theft key then you ought to demand they give you a second key.

To be perfectly honest about it, the keyless entry units are one of those "cool man" features, it is just as fast to enter the vehicle with the usual turn key in lock as it is to fumble out the remote then press it.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I just emailed the info to you.

Thx for the help :-)

Reply to
Craig

I work inside dealers doing keyless entrys and remote starters. I'll tell you that keyless isn't an automatic option on all vans but what I have found is that most vans with the Sentry key system do infact have OEM keyless. It's usually the HUGE black key with the remote built in the head of the key. I am sure the dealer won't just give it to you either because their cost on the key is $122.40 plus programming which usually = over $190 plus tax retail price!!!!

Yes, the ad on keyless entry is made by code alarm but I don't think they make one for the caravan. See, on this van you have a one wire doorlock system where something like 5.3kohms to ground locks it and 2k ohms to ground unlocks.

DEI units (

) units will cost less but make sure to get one of the better branded units because their remotes are starting to have a high failure rate. I still use their Automate line for dealers and stock a dozen or so extra remotes on hand.

If looking in the remote start area, look at

they have the best bang for the buck. They have the nicest warranty and longest ranged units on the market. Plan on spending about $150 for keyless or $400 for keyless with remote start. Obviously it depends on where you live and exactly which unit you pick for the final price.

BTW, at least try to get them to give you one extra grey key. That way you can buy another grey key say at the locksmith for 1/2 cost of the dealers' stuff. I doubt you'll get the original style fob for free. Those usually are lost in dealer transfers, repos, or auctions.

Reply to
ponchonutty

If I only want keyless entry, which system would you recommend? Would any of the AutoCommand ReadyRemote systems work. I don't really want to spend a huge chunk of $$$ on this but thought it would be nice to have as our old van had this feature and we got used to the convenience of it.

Reply to
Craig

Check your E mail

Reply to
maxpower

View this thread:

philthy

If you only want keyless then you should be OK with the Valet piece from Directed. The Autocommand is also part of Directed too but may be harder to get parts for if you'd need another remote later on. DEI stuff is everywhere.

Reply to
ponchonutty

Go to Commando Keyless Remotes and they will sell you a keyless entry system with two remotes and it works great. I put one in my 2001 grand caravan. These vans use a single "SENSOR" wire system to lock and unlock your doors. I used two relays that I bought from Commando, and I had to buy two different resistors. I bought the ceramic adjustable resistors from Radio Shack. When you turn the ignition key on the doors lock, and, when you turn the key off they unlock. I only spent about $60 for everything. If you don't have a FSM, and, good understanding of wiring diagrams, I am not sure I would recommend anyone attempt to install this.

Reply to
George Rhude

George is right. You need to know what you are doing. You'd be surprised at how many people call me thinking they just messed some wiring up to find out they blew their BCM up!

Reply to
ponchonutty