2008 Grand Caravan starting problem

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, 4.0 with trailer package.

For the first 20,000 miles, I had absolutely no problems with starting. At about 22,000, I was sitting in the van waiting for my wife to come out of a doctor's appointment. I had one LED reading lamp and the REN radio on Sirius. After about 2 hours I went in to check on her. When I came back out, I tried to start the car, and only got a grunt.

It sounds like the starter begins to engage, then stops after 1/4 second or so. Guy from the tow truck got it started with a jump, so I thought it was the battery. It had been about 2 years, and in the Southern Nevada climate, the heat eats batteries alive. I stopped in at AutoZone and got one of their "Gold" level batteries and installed it. I cleaned the posts, terminals, and used some of the dielectric grease.

About a week later, same problem, but this time it did eventually start. Same symptom, starter engaged for 1/4 sec then stopped. I turned the key back and forth from off to start about 5 times,got just as many 1/4 second grunts, when it started fine, like new. I generally just have to quickly flip the key to start, when it engages and starts.

I had the dealer check when I had an oil change done, he advised it was the battery terminal that was not making good connection with the battery cable. He spliced in a new battery post connector.

Skip ahead a few weeks, same problem again. Cranks for 1/4 second or so, then stops.

Ideas? It will be going back to the dealer in about a week for next oil and service.

I remember on an older car I had, the starter solenoid contact actually rotated within the unit. This was done so the same point of physical contact was changed every time the solenoid was engaged. If you got a burnt spot on the contact, every time you landed on that same place you would have problems starting until you bumped it off the bad spot.

Does the GC use the same sort of system?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
QX

Google "Denso solenoid contacts"

Daniel who wants to know

This does sound a lot like the typical starter problem that has been mentioned. I am surprise to see this on a two year old van though. My

1993 had this problem back in 1998. After the starter was replaced, we have not had the problem since.

KM

Reply to
KirkM