2008 Town & Country

Anybody Have access to a wiring diagram for an 08 T&C ?

I've installed a MyGig "Lockpick" in my van and to make the rear camera work while in motion I need to get a seperate power wire to the camera as it currently powered off the backup light circuit. And to me the best place to make the connection is in the rear ceiling where the harness enters the gate. But I need to know what what wire feeds power to the camera otherwise I need to gut the gate to get to the wiring at the camera. Thanks Kevin

Reply to
ks

Wow a fast way to void the warranty and break the law all in one fell swoop... I don't see anything on the web site about that though...

Reply to
Steve W.

Let me Know how many fault codes are set when you do this. The Can bus system make detect that and set multiple engine faults.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Glenn, Thanks for your concern but I'm not messing with the Can Bus, I'm just trying to provide 12+ to the camera independly of the backup light curcuit, I will have to ofcourse now seperate the camera from the backup light so I don't cause any backfeed. This is the company that sell the module to allows some not previouly programmed functions out of the MyGig Radio.

I'm trying to find a more reasonable priced FSM as $395 is a little steep. I'm sure they will hit ebay soon.

Any change you could pull a diagram of the rear gate harness and tell me the wire color for the camera power source?

Reply to
ks

Ok void some warranty I get but breaking the law? ....you better tell the million or so RV owners with rear view cameras they are breaking the law.

Reply to
ks

Sorry I don't have that info.

Reply to
maxpower

Can't you just tap a 12+ into the existing camera power wire and isolate the backfeed with a diode?

Reply to
Nosey

I guess I'm just kinda curious why you'd want the camera on when driving down the road...

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Must be because he wants to rearend someone.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Rear view cameras are designed to ONLY act as a rear view mirror because they cannot see directly behind the RV. The law says that those cameras are legal. The system your installing allows video feeds and DVD to be viewed within the drivers line of vision. That is the illegal item.

Reply to
Steve W.

Well....

This is factory OEM Chrysler, I'm only looking to also be to view while in forward motion (to keep tabs on the boat trailer better). Similar camera kits are sold at Wal-Mart for this purpose.

You are correct for New York, But Minnesota as many other states has no such law.

Thank you for all your legal concern

Reply to
ks

Yep thats the plan kinda The instruction say to clip the 12+ to the Camera and use the wire from the module to supply the power to the camera when view is needed.

I was just trying to save time/hassel by seeing if I could find the wire colors so I could do this at the harness before going into the gate so I didn't have to diassembling the rear door to get to the camera to find out which wire it is.

Instead I'm getting legal and warranty advise.

Reply to
ks

Kinda nice to see the boat trailer better behind me.

Reply to
ks

Thats it you figured it out!

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
ks

Three ways to get the wiring info.: (1) Some dealers will let you look at their FSM's in their facility - used to be that way - I don't know if they still do that.

(2) Buy the FSM (probably more than the approx. $100 they used to be).

(3) If it's worth $25 to you (for a one year subscription), you could get an on-line subscription to alldata.com. Not sure about your van, but for the vehicles I have subscriptions for, they have every single schematic that's in the FSM, and they are all right out of the FSM - none of the aftermarket manual "typical" schematics that may or may not be accurate for your vehicle. With that subscription you would also have access to the complete TSB's applicable to the vehicle - that alone might be worth the cost of the subscription.

(I have no connections with alldata other than being a customer - and to prove it, I'll say that the rest of their vehicle-specific information, though right out of the FSM, is spotty, incomplete, and poorly organized/hard to search. Schematics and TSB's are 100%, and may be worth the cost by itself. Also, they give multiple year/multiple vehicle discounts.)

Bill Putney

In my years of towing things, I'm comfortable in knowing the (whatever) is hooked up correctly, safety pins in hitch and\or ball, safety chains installed and watch the mirror. I agree the camera might be nice for hooking up but after that it just looking at a hitch. Believe me, if you would happen to break the ball and your load hits the chains, your butt will know it faster than your eyes looking at a picture when you should be handling the situation.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Yup, by then it is all over.

Reply to
Roy

I doubt there isn't anybody who hasn't done something to their truck or car that hasn't been a bit illegal or pushed the warranty a bit. Hell, if ya haven't well.....

I don't really see the reasoning for this toy, but it's his toy let him play with it. Just mho.

Reply to
Roy

in georgia there is still a law on the books from the old hotrodding days. it says that you cannot perform any modifications to your vehicle from its stock configuration. a good attorney could have you for lunch just for running a different brand of tire on the vehicle than it was shipped with. got to be one of the most violated laws on the books. i posted the general law on the subject below but if you go a read each subsection of the code you will find that most vehicle modifications beyond factory and dealer options are illegal. michael

§ 40-8-7. Driving unsafe or improperly equipped vehicle; punishment for violations of chapter generally; vehicle inspection by law enforcement officer without warrant

(a) No person shall drive or move on any highway any motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer, or any combination thereof, unless the equipment upon any and every such vehicle is in good working order and adjustment as required in this chapter and the vehicle is in such safe mechanical condition as not to endanger the driver or other occupant or any person upon the highway.

(b) It is a misdemeanor for any person to drive or move, or for the owner to cause or knowingly permit to be driven or moved, on any street or highway any vehicle or combination of vehicles:

(1) Which is in such unsafe condition as to endanger any person;

(2) Which does not contain those parts or is not at all times equipped with such lights and other equipment in proper condition and adjustment as required in this chapter; or

(3) Which is equipped in any manner in violation of this chapter.

(c) It is also a misdemeanor for any person to do any act forbidden or fail to perform any act required under this chapter.

(d) Any vehicle suspected of being operated in violation of this article may be the subject of an inspection conducted by any law enforcement officer who has reason to believe such violation is occurring, without the necessity of obtaining a warrant to permit such inspection.

Reply to
nunya

There is a law in most states that say's the lower edge of fender can't be higher than center hub/axle. or words to that effect.

Reply to
Roy