2010 PT Cruiser - follow up

2010 PT Cruiser, 25000 miles

The oil leak was a bad head gasket, repair under 5 year power train warranty at no cost to me. Wonder how long this repair will last? I thought is was kind of unusual for a low miles car to blow a head gasket. Repair receipt shows upper gasket set, antifreeze, and oil change. Also shows a bad O2 sensor and check engine light, which I never had a problem with. Bet the tech damaged the O2 sensor tearing down the engine. Not a problem for me, was covered under warranty.

Was also told the front lower control arm bushings were shot. That repair was covered by extended warranty with $100 deductible, plus $99 for alignment. Not too painful.

Receipt shows they replaced the entire control arm / lower ball joint assemblies, claiming bushings alone not available. A quick look on eBay shows plenty of lower control arm bushings available. Not a big deal for me either way, guess the complete unit is only item available in the dealer parts network or perhaps the extended warranty only covered the complete item and not bushings only? Who knows?

Reply to
Steve Stone

Sorry you've had these issues. I've got a 2009 with 37K that's been as good as Gold so far. The few minor issues were quickly repaired under warranty. When you are paying labor it's often about the same cost to buy the whole part instead of just the bushing, part cost more but labor is less, sort of a wash. $99 for alignment seems high though.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Ditto, hate you're having such a problem. I have a 2001, one of the early one built in 2000 and I wish every car I've ever owned was as trouble free as this one's been. Other than scheduled maintenance items, the CO2 sensor failed several years ago. That was it.It was a daily driver until 2009 now it's an occasional car.

Reply to
CopperTop

Hi Coppertop. Glad to see there are other oldies like me. I ordered my PT the very first day Chrysler allowed the dealers to order (02/14/2000). Mine was silver LTD, 5sp. I was able to obtain the order number from the dealer network which allowed me to login to Chrysler's dealer site and track the production. I knew the day it went on the assemply line and when it came off. I knew which truck it was loaded on and when it reached El Paso, TX. Then it was transferred to a CSX rail car (car # provided) which allowed real time tracking all the way to upstate NY where it was loaded onto an Allied Carrier truck. I called the dealer and arranged for delivery that evening (07/25/2000>

Other than regular maintenance items, the ONLY two items that failed were a cracked water extension on the head and a broken timing belt.

I now have 98K on it and finally am just ordering a new set of wheels and a 3rd set of Sumitomo tires. Oh, and the day I took delivery I installed a set of Borla SS duals, an Air Raid Cold Air kit and the Mopar powered sub-woofer.

Just wanted to share.

Reply to
BobMCT