3.0L cold ticking

'93 Grand Voyager 3.0L, under 120k miles (190k kms). This winter it fairly suddenly developed a very loud ticking sound when cold. It goes away after a few minutes when it warms up. I switched from 10W30 to 5W30 "winter oil" synthetic blend hoping to quiet it down a tad with no change at all. I would say sticky lifter but I'm not sure if this thing even has lifters (as far as I know it's overhead cam, right?) or an exhaust leak at the heads. Any advise?

Reply to
SBlackfoot

Yes it has lifters. They are located in the tip of the rocker arms. Sounds like you may have something in one of the lifters (debris) that is holding the valve open. You might try some of the detergent you can buy for the oil. I believe that CD2 used to make a material like this. Good luck.

Reply to
David Dowell

They are more "correctly" referred to as "lash adjusters" in that geometry (i.e., when not directly in the path of the valve stem, or in the case of a push rod engine, in the path of the push rod - all lifters are lash adjusters, not all lash adjusters are "lifters" as the term is technically used). I know I'm being picky - please don't take offense. :) Not a big deal when people call them lifters - just thought I'd point that out.

Actually, when a lifter/lash adjuster is "sticking" or "collapsed", it is the opposite - rather than a valve being held *open*, the valve is

*not* opening, or is not opening enough. The noise in that situation is due to the excessive gap between rocker and valve stem or rocker and lifter/lash adjuster (goes along with the term "lash adjuster").

It could be an exahust or intake leak that closes up with heat, but you're right - if it's a lifter/lash adjuster, some cleanout additive could "unstick it" - MMO, Sea Foam, or ATF are known to work well.

Also, the anti-drainback valve in some oil filters is not as good as in others - they can leak down and you get more dry-run time on startup. The OP might review what filter model he is using and possibly change to one that is known to have a good ADB valve (one made of silicone - not nitrile - rubber).

Bill Putney