3.3L Grand Voyager shift point and rev limiter.

Can anyone tell me what is the shift point for the auto transmission on a

3.3L Grand Voyager when you floor it? Mine seems to shift up at around 5,000 rpm. Also, when should the rev limiter cut in? Mine cuts in at around 5,300, well before the 6,000 rpm red line!

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Wooding

Why, on earth, would you be beating your Grand Voyager, that way?? Why would these answers be important?? How OLD are you??

God Bless, Karl

"Thousands have died for my Freedom, ONE HAS DIED FOR MY SOUL, I AM ETERNALLYGREATFUL" Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord .. Psalm 33:12

Reply to
Karl Rove

Karl

If you choose not to answer the question then don't. Making comments about my age are irrelevant and insulting. They are straightforward questions to which there are straightforward answers..

G.

Reply to
Gerald Wooding

Directed at a specific activity, of which, Mommy and Daddy may not approve. You apparently think we regulars fell off the tomato truck YESTERDAY. Maybe, but we've seen these kinds of questions before, only to be followed with more questions, . . . . usually about some repair activity, surrounding the damage done from the beatings endured by the likes of your Grand Voyager.

Listen up, . . . . . IT'S A MINI VAN, . . . . . for crying out loud. Don't beat on it. It wasn't designed for such activity. I promise . . . .

--- Dad will be pissed.

God Bless, Karl

"Thousands have died for my Freedom, ONE HAS DIED FOR MY SOUL, I AM ETERNALLYGREATFUL" Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord .. Psalm 33:12

Reply to
Karl Rove

Karl

You still miss the point. Either the car is working as Chrysler designed it or it is not. If you are prepared to drive a vehicle that is not performing to it's maker's specifications then that is a reflection on you. All my question was aimed as was finding out was whether or not that was normal for a Voyager. However, it would seem to be too intelligent a question for you as all you can do is respond with insults! How I drive my car is my choice, I don't ask you how you drive yours and frankly, I don't care. Now, either respond sensibly to my question or not at all. Mind you, going by your two earlier efforts, I may be waiting a long time for a sensible and dare I say it "adult" response.

G.

Reply to
Gerald Wooding

Reply to
mic canic

Mic

Thanks for your response. It makes you wonder about the design and manufacture of an engine which has to be limited to such an extent to reduce warranty claims. Christ, my diesel Toyota Estima (Japanese version of the Previa) used to rev more convincingly than this (until it was stolen that is!). At least it had an honest red line (5,500) at which the rev limiter cut in, and this is on a 2.2L turbo-diesel.

G.

Reply to
Gerald Wooding

Stay OFF the cellular phone, and don't put your gum on the bottom of the chair, and, . . . . stop teasing your sister, while you're waiting, too.

God Bless, Karl

"Thousands have died for my Freedom, ONE HAS DIED FOR MY SOUL, I AM ETERNALLYGREATFUL" Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord .. Psalm 33:12

Reply to
Karl Rove

And that's what you call an adult response? Oh dear me I pity you!

G.

Reply to
Gerald Wooding
5,000 | rpm. Also, when should the rev limiter cut in? Mine cuts in at around 5,300, | well before the 6,000 rpm red line! | | Gerald | |

I have the 3.3 in a '97 Grand. The shift point is usually around 5100RPM at full throttle acceleration...which always seemed early to me since the engine hardly sounds like it's working very hard yet. I have no idea when the rev limiter would kick in...I don't even know what one would do to find out. I can't figure out why it matters. Are you having drivability problems?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Chrysler warranty is 100,000 miles, Toyota is 36,000 miles. That may be more of the reason. If setting shift points lower saves your engine, perhaps that is a good thing. How often does one ever need to run out the engine at full throttle anyway? I can't remember the last time I even had mine over 3000 RPM, let alone 5000!

I would respectfully say that I think you're running your engines way to hard for this to matter. It's going to cost you dearly over time.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

No, he's likely a 16 year-old abusing his mother's minivan.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Be very careful, Matt. You might upset the pooooooooor widdo chid-ren, and they'll start calling you terrible names. It might/could even be PAINFUL. LOL!

;-)~

He says he's waiting for me to respond in an "adult manner." I plan on letting him cool his heels about four years, . . . . or until he can vote, which ever comes first.

God Bless, Karl

"Thousands have died for my Freedom, ONE HAS DIED FOR MY SOUL, I AM ETERNALLYGREATFUL" Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord .. Psalm 33:12

Reply to
Karl Rove

James

Some sanity at last! I was of the same opinion i.e. it seems to shift very early while it shows no sign of rev related stress. By the way in the UK the warranty is not 100,000 miles but considerably less, more like a limited warranty of three years or 60,000 miles. With regards to the use of full throttle, I agree, it is only on the rare occasion that one has to use full throttle but on those occasions it just struck me as strange why it changed so early in full kickdown mode. But on the other hand, a V6 is full song is quite an addictive sound. As for the rev limit, it was just by chance that I found that one out! However, the tacho red line is 6,000 rpm, this would seem to be decoration only as is bears no relation to what the engine is actually constrained to. As for the responses from two of the other contributors, I am afraid that we do really have kids amongst us.On the other hand, perhaps the sight of (WOW) 6,000rpm red line is for their benefit. Personally, having had various cars and motorcycles over the past thirty plus years, most of them being of European and Japanese origins, I have grown accustomed to relatively high revving engines and realistic RPM limits. In overall terms I expect honesty from car manufacturers. I also expect, on the rare occasion, to be able to extract maximum performance from the vehicle, which, if it has been designed and built correctly, will have no effect on it's longevity.

Regards

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Wooding

I've never felt as though the engine was holding back for power though. Maybe Chrysler heeds to offer the "auto-stick" tranny in Caravans for the folks that want to hit that torque curve just right! :-)

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Karl / Matt

Unfortunately, although the best thing is probably to ignore the incessant drivel put forward by both you and Matt, the temptation is just too much to resist. The posts that the two of you have made really lower the tone of this group. It perhaps brings it home to me why I generally refrain from posting, there are too many ***ho*** out there who would rather play with themselves and exchange frankly rather infantile posts. It is a shame that the few can spoil it for the many.

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Wooding

If you want "maximum performance" from time to time, fine. But being able to tag the redline doesn't give maximum performance. Redline is typically a mechanical limit at which the probability (note that word: its not a certainty) of engine damage begins to rapidly increase with increasing RPM. But redline is rarely the peak horsepower RPM, and is virtually NEVER the peak torque RPM. It is generally well above both of those and torque certainly has begun to fall off before redline and horsepower is either flat or also on the downward trend.

Maximum performance during an upshift is really determined by where on the torque curve the *next* gear ratio causes the engine to wind up after the shift. You might sacrifice a little bit in the lower gear by going above the horsepower peak before shifting in order to not end up being too far on the low side of the torque peak in the higher gear, but that usually doesn't entail going all the way to redline. That is even more true of an engine like a 3.3L that is set up for low RPM torque performance rather than high RPM horsepower performance. The automatic WOT shift points are most likely very near the absolute best for that engine and transmission combo, because revving any higher justs puts you further on the down-side of the curve. And I do think that 6000 is probably a realistic redline for that engine, the 3.5 has a 6500 RPM redline, and shares much of the rotating assembly design with the 3.3, but has lighter pistons and a forged crank with cross-bolted mains. Both could probably hit 7000 and only a small percentage of the engines that have been made would suffer immediate damage, but a more conservative redline makes sense.

And finally, engine sound is not any indicator of "rev related stress" at all. Some engines make incredibly loud noises with no stress at all, and others will remain "normal" sounding right up to the point where the rods make windows in the block. I'm *certain* the 3.3 is under absolutely no abnormal "stress" at all at its shift point, I'm just pointing out that its not a good idea to judge by sound alone.

Gerald Wood> James

Reply to
Steve

Steve

Good response. Further research reveals the following:-

Max. output (DIN) 152.1 PS (150.0 bhp) (111.9 kW) @4850 rpm Max. torque (DIN) 241.0 Nm (178 lbft) (24.6 kgm) @3750 rpm

Funny that after owning the thing for three years I've only just looked up the specifications! All in all it is an understressed, low output engine, 150HP out of a 3.3 litre engine (their own 2.0 litre engine apparently produces 140bhp) is nothing to get excited about, neither to be honest is 178 lbft. In comparison, my (albeit tweaked) 1.8 litre 8v Golf GTI produced approximately

140 HP at 5,900rpm and approximately 140 lbft of torque at 4,300rpm and had 178,000 miles on the clock when I sold it (expanding family). But of course we are talking about an engine with completely different design parameters. I have no doubt that 6,000 is a realistic red line for the Chrysler engine, in fact 5,800 is probably a safer bet. I was just puzzled that with 6,000 apparently available RPM, this one short shifts at just over 5,000 and would never ever reach that 6,000 mark in a month of Sundays because the rev limiter cuts in at about 5,300! But on reflection, the specifications say it all. I do know all about horsepower and torque curves and have been working with engines for some twenty years now. As such I agree that sound alone is no good indicator, however sound and feel combined with a much higher indicated limit does prompt for some questions to be asked. Again thanks for your measured response.

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Wooding

The torque curve peak is nowhere near the redline on almost any gasoline four-stroke. Some diesels may come close, but most gasoline engines have the torque curve well below redline. The horsepower peak is often much closer to redline.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

When you grow up a little more, you will find it easier to resist these urges to respond. And your IQ will, hopefully, rise to a level that allows you to express yourself without profanity.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting