300C's as beautiful as in the ads

A silver Hemi pulled up next to me on Shelburne Rd in South Burlington Vt. just about 2 hours ago... Needless to say I followed it back to the dealer. WOW. It really does look as good in person as in the ads..Beautifully appointed and that engine! They had 4. 2 Hemi's, a Touring and a base model. I was skeptical that the 300C would look as rich as it does based on past experiences with pictures of the Crossfire.... and then in person... Ugh. As for the fatboy Pacifica I expect that comes with a years supply of Snickers to make it even fatter.. Will having such a broad range of models cheapen the 300 line, or as a year goes by see the slimming down of the trim levels to keep it an exciting car? _Fred

Reply to
Frederick Pileggi

Welcome to the "Mercedies-ification" of Chrysler.

One car (300) coming in a half-dozen different sub-models. All look the same from the outside. Different engines and interiors on the inside. Yawn.

All of them looking like Bentleys.

It's the big-box car. It's got to be. It's doing double-duty as a station-wagonish suv-ish thing for Dodge (Magnum). These industrial-looking cars are the new thing, we're told. People are into the high-beltline thing, we're told. Something about a certain feeling of security. Course you have to raise the body some to put in the AWD.

I like my car-line with more visual differentiation. But I guess we can't have it with the "volume brand" that is Chrysler. Of course I like to have more "car" in my car. If I want fisher price or tonka I know where to get that.

Remember - these cars only look good in the limited, toned-down color set they have. They better have a hemi with the freeking huge flat front wall-of-a-grill they're pushing down the highway. I hear that there's a dealer accessory (front ground-effects kit) that turns it into a hemi-powered snow plow.

Reply to
MoPar Man

No, they don't, but for 2005 it will be available in three trim levels - Pacifica, Pacifica Touring and Pacifica Limited. As for our 2004 AWD - best vehicle we have ever owned (except for the mileage).

RP

Reply to
RPhillips47

It's a friggin square box!

Reply to
James C. Reeves

When I test drove a Pacifica the seat controls on the door seemed loosely installed. Have they given you any problems?

Reply to
Art

Nothin' wrong with square boxes. A great many beautiful cars over the years have been square boxes. The '64-'65 Imperial is a square box. The '70 Dart is a square box. The '62 Continental is a square box. The '64 and '78 Chevrolet full-size cars are square boxes. The problem with the

300C isn't that it's a square box, the problem is that way-too-high beltline and too-short window glass, the raised-rump effect of the trunk, and the "We didn't study so we had to cheat off Cadillac during the test" greenhouse styling.

This is not an attractive car to any degree greater than the ad hype has made people think it is.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

No problems with the seat controls except for the fact that the passenger seat doesn't have all of the capabilities of the drivers seat. That being said, there were a few minor problems that had to be corrected under warranty:

  1. The alignment of the hood was off and had to be corrected. When it was it showed that the edge wasn't painted so that now has to be done.
  2. The beltline chrome molding was loose and had to be replaced. When it was the body shop damaged the new one so it has to be done again!
  3. The dashboard clock was not aligned properly so instead of straightening it they replaced it.
  4. The drivers floormat had a bad grommet that would not allow the floormat to be removed.
  5. The passenger seatback would occasionally stop working. They found a faulty motor and replaced the seatback frame.
  6. The winged-badge logo in the steering wheel was cracked so the replaced the airbag unit.

Except for the seatback nothing on this list is a major issue, just annoyances that I figured should be corrected. Some of the parts had to be ordered so they had the car for five days. That was no problem because we get a free loaner whenever the Pacifica goes in for service.

RP

Reply to
RPhillips47

As many people who have read this newsgroup over the last few months know, I have been a strong proponent of this vehicle. I finally said I would reserve final judgement until I saw it in person. Well I have seen it in person and I have to agree with your statement above. I do like the front styling but the high beltline/low greenhouse is not pleasing. I do, however, like the styling on the Dodge Magnum as it lends itself better to the wagon, but I prefer the front styling of the 300 over the Magnum. Unfortunately if I want to buy a vehicle like that I will have to move to Europe.

RP

Reply to
RPhillips47

That is a lot of problems for a new car these days. Hope they get their act together.

straightening it

Reply to
Art

Not really. Had the vehicle been purchased by someone not as "nit-picky" as me items 1, 2, 3 and 6 would not have been noticed. As a matter of fact, the vehicle is driven daily by my wife. She only noticed items 3 and 5 and item 5 remains questionable because it has more to do with the way the clock is mouted at a slight angle toward the driver. The average person wouldn't care that the back of the hood sat about 1/8" lower than it should or that the beltline molding sat 1/8" higher at the rear than it should. Overall these are very insignificant for a vehicle that was built last July in the first initial days of production.

RP

Reply to
RPhillips47

Or wait for next year.

I expect the 300 Touring will come this way when it no longer completely undercuts Dodge, i.e., when the new Charger is at Dodge dealers.

Reply to
Thomas Arneson

I guess I don't like boxy-looking cars...at least the ones with the newer style queues. It doesn't seem at all stylish to me. Looks plain-Jane to me. But it appears many do like it. I wonder how the wind drag rating is on that puppy?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I doubt Chrysler would do that because of the Pacifica.

RP

Reply to
RPhillips47

Quoth "James C. Reeves" in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Remember, it's only square on the outside.

If they have designed and wind-tunnel-tested the ductwork properly behind that huge grill, they can do wonders with airflow inside the body.

says the drag coefficient is between 0.331 and 0.350, depending on trim.

That's pretty darned slippery for a car with as much frontal area as the

300C. By comparison, a 94 LHS, a 92 Taurus or a 95 Saab 900 has a cd of 0.320, and a 93 Saab 9000 or an 82 Delorean has a cd of 0.340.
Reply to
Tom Betz

Frontal area is only half the battle, rearward is the rest. The best ass-ends are ones that gently taper in. You can get away with a fat front if the ass isn't fat. The wedge shape isn't actually as aerodynamic as people think. You want a more teardrop shaped vehicle if you can get it.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I think this applies only for subsonic speeds. :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Reply to
mic canic

What is the drag coef. for the 300M ?

Reply to
MoPar Man

Hmm, I wonder if this guy knew that?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

You mean like:

Belvedere -Satellite -Sport Satellite -GTX -Roadrunner?

Or:

Coronet -Coronet 440 -Coronet 500 -Coronet R/T -Superbee

Or maybe:

Chrysler -Windsor -Saratoga -New Yorker -300 Sport Series -300 Letter Series

I'm certainly no fan of the Daimler takeover, but give it a REST already. The 300 is looking better and better the more I learn about it, and now it looks like Dodge is going to get a sedan after all. About the only downside is that last I heard they're planning to use a German transmission, but at least the Hemi is an Auburn Hills design.

Reply to
Steve