300M: Front wheel noise while turning

Car is '00 300m.

When turning to the right while moving forward, a scraping noise is being generated from the front driver's wheel area. Noise pattern (frequency) is proportional to wheel RPM. The duty-cycle of the noise "burst" is proportional to the amount of right-hand turn. Noise is the same regardless if breaking, coasting, or accelerating.

No noise if travelling in a straight line. Does not seem to make any noise when turning left. Doesn't seem to be any noise from the front-passenger wheel.

Any candidates for this noise? CV joint or boot?

What exactly is on the scheduled service list for the front wheels for this car as far as rotating parts go?

Reply to
MoPar Man

It's probably just the brake heat shield scraping away against your poor disk. This is a very common problem with the LH cars, and I've had it on my '99 since 2003. This shield is a flat metal "tongue" that hangs down between the bottom of the brake disk (rotor) and the steering knuckle and has a very close clearance with the disk. For some reason the clearance gets even less during turns in the direction away from the wheel's side.

If the scraping is during left turns, it's likely the right wheel and visa versa. The best fix is to turn the wheel in the direction of the noise (to maximize the gap while you work) and remove the wheel. Carefully/gently pry the brake shield away from the disk. I use a thin piece of cardboard to protect the disk from whatever I'm doing the prying with. With the piece of cardboard then gently slide up and down between the disk and shield to loosen the junk and rust that builds up there.

Unfortunately it's only a temporary fix, although a cheap and easy one. It tends to keep on reoccurring as the shield rusts and/or collects road grit. I've given up removing the wheel each time and merely park the car with the wheel turned all the way, then reach behind the wheel and use an old hotel key to clean the gap. It tends to reoccur faster when the car is parked in the rain.

I would take care of this right away as that scraping noise is your nice smooth disk surface being scraped away. If not taken care of, it gradually gets worse until the slightest turn causes the noise.

Reply to
Greg Houston

I agree with Greg, especially if the noise you are hearing is a high-pitched squeal.

Greg - I've not heard of the problem continuously recurring like yours has done. Usually the shield is bent when suspension or brake work is done, and once it is bent back away from the rotor, it's OK. Weird.

If it's not the rotor shield, the next suspect in my mind would be the wheel bearing.

The only mention that the FSM makes of checking the front end components is to "Inspect the CV joints and front suspension components" under the heading "At Each Oil Change". No other mention of that area under any mileage heading (I'm looking at the Schedule B in the '99 FSM).

Reply to
Bill Putney

Oh, No!!! Not the hated "which side is the noisy bearing on?" discussion again!!! It's been soooooo long. :))

Reply to
cavedweller

While on the subject -

Is there any recommended service interval (or, is it just a good idea) to grease the wheel bearings every once in a while on these LH cars?

I remember cleaning and repacking the front wheel bearings on my older Dodge's with front drums every once in a while because you had to take the bearings out to pull the drums off while replacing the brake shoes. I had the impression that the rear bearings (which you didn't have to remove) were exposed to differential fluid (yes?) and hence were always lubricated.

Reply to
MoPar Man

They are sealed - no greasing possible - sealed double-row balls. The service interval is that when they start making noise, you replace them.

Reply to
Bill Putney

I don't do that anymore. :)

Reply to
Bill Putney

I could swear that when I removed the outer cap on the rear wheels I could see the cotter pin holding the nut in place, and the bearing right behind it. Didn't seem sealed to me (not any more sealed as they used to be in the 60's).

Reply to
MoPar Man

The rear does have a cotter pin and nut - that just locks the sealed hub/bearing assembly to the spindle.

I thought you were asking about the front bearings, but the rears are also sealed. Both front and rear are hub/bearing assemblies (replace as a unit).

Reply to
Bill Putney

Nor me, since I invented the stethoscope.........

Reply to
cavedweller

rote:

Aaarrrgghhhh!!..."I".

Reply to
cavedweller

It could be worn bearings causing the scraping. At about 80k miles my '95 Concorde developed a scraping of the front brakes. Turned out it was caused by worn bearings allowing the wheel to shift and cause the brakes to drag.

Reply to
Some O