300M How to remove silicone from dash

I have -00 300M with dark gray/black leather interior. I accidentally applied some silicone with a cloth to the dash's "leather". I am not sure whether the dash is covered with real leather or some leather-like material.

Any ideas on how to remove this shiny silicone and restore that original matte gray color?

- Tim

Reply to
Tim

It is vinyl. You might look at at auto store for matte finish vinyl cleaner/renewer and see if that gets rid of the shine and reflection in your windshield.

Reply to
Art

Yeah. Ever heard of soap and water? Or Windex?

Congrats on today's "DUH" post.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Keep Windex away from the real leather in the car. Not sure if vinyl likes it either though windex inevitably gets on the top of the dashboard when used to clean inside windshield.

Reply to
Art

Windex will remove the color coating on leather, so it's a no-no. Not bad for vinyl cleaning, but I rinse afterward to remove the detergent and ammonia.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

I didn't want to do any more damage as I didn't know the actual material. And thanks for the nomination :) and the good hint.

- Tim

Reply to
Tim

Thanks Art, you saved my day!

- Tim

Reply to
Tim

My understanding is that most leather in cars today has a plastic protective coating on it, so I doubt it would remove the color. Porbably still may not be advisable to use it on leather, but it's not like it is contacting the leather directly.

Bill Putney

Bill you are an engineer. Try it. I did. I had used windex to clean a windshield on my LHS and then decided to use the same paper towel to wipe the leather wrapped steering wheel. Big mistake. Almost dissolved the thing. I quickly saturated it steering wheel leather with leather conditioner and saved it from permanent damage. It was virtually dissolving.

Reply to
Art

Thanks for the information, Art. The leather seat covers may be coated and the steering wheel may not be. I was going by what I had read.

Bill Putney