300M tire replacement?

Theoretically I agree with you but I find that my 300M and my previous 94 LHS wear times absolutely perfectly evenly and every time you have a so-called mechanic with his air wrench screwing around with your wheels you run the risk of needing your brakes re-done. The tires cost $150 each. So maybe it costs me $50 in lost wear per set for not rotating them. I think its worth it.

Reply to
Art

Wow, sounds like you need to find a new mechanic. I rotate all of my tires religiously at 6k or 7k miles and it was only until recently that I have had to get new brakes and that was at 95,000 miles.

- Matt

Art wrote:

Reply to
Matt

The only place in the Raleigh NC area that I've seen use a torque wrench to tighten wheel lugs was a Ford dealership. Unfortunately first they used the air wrench and then the torque wrench but by then the lugs were overtightened. I supposed they were told to use the torque wrench but no one explained to them the actual point of using it.

Reply to
Art

It is possible that they have the impact wrenches set on super low pressure or torque just to get the nuts seated, but you may be right.

As far as the other places, it may be that they are using torque sticks with their impacts - try to notice next time - you may be assuming the worst when it's not the case (I wouldn't be surprised either way).

In my state (Virginia), on state inspections, the law requires them to use impact wrenches with torque sticks when putting the wheels back on after inspecting the brakes. That law has gone a long way to getting shops to properly torque - the lazy mechanic will not try to keep up with two different ways (not properly torque-limited and properly torque-limited) of putting the wheels on. Perhaps I'm giving them too much credit. Some mechanics go out of their way to screw stuff up.

Bill Putney

In NC, things are so bad that one tire chain makes you sign a statement obligating you to bring your car back within a week to get your lugs checked for tightness otherwise they are not liable if your wheels fall off. I buy my tires elsewhere.

Reply to
Art