300M wheels

I'm looking for 18" wheels for the 300M, do you know if the center hole is used for centering the wheels or does it use the bolts?

As far as I can measure on the spare wheel it has a centerhole of 71,5 mm, bolt spacing 5x4.5" (114.3 mm) and ET 38-42

tnx

JimR Denmark

Reply to
JimR

It uses center hole for centering. Many people wouldn't hesitate to rely on the lugs for centering (with an oversize hole), though I'm not sure I'd want to try that as the LH cars are very sensitive to tire/suspension anomalies (i.e., tire/wheel imbalances). Everything has a tolerance. You would also sacrifice some strength safety factor in impact situations - again, some people would ignore that.

Hole pattern is indeed 5x4.5" (114.3). OEM wheel offset is +38mm. I haven't been able to find center hole diameter spec., but if that's what you measured, then it should be right. An aftermarket wheel supplier ought to be able to verify the nominal spec.

Bill Putney

'Just confirmed - 71.5 mm is the nominal center hole diameter (reference

. Bill Putney (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my address with the letter 'x')

Reply to
Bill Putney

The tapered lug nuts will center the wheel probably as well as the center hole and hub extension. The lug studs and nuts are plenty strong enough for impact resistance, stronger than the suspension connections in most cases. Look at wrecked cars and see how many times the lug studs have failed. I've actually never seen them fail. Typically, as with the minivan that hit my minivan a few months ago, a ball joint lets go. I've seen a few allow wheels where the center of the wheel broke away from the rim, but the wheel center was still firmly affixed to the hub! :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Great, thanks a lot!