5 speed neon-click while shifting

Hi,

I have a 98 neon, 5 speed. Just this week, I've started feeling a sort of click while shifting into 2nd and out of 3rd and 4th. It feels like something has loosened up. What causes this and can I fix it?

Reply to
JF Bialek

How many miles on it? And are they highway (little shifting) or local (much shifting) miles? Could be that the syncro-mesh widget on second gear is dying. The second gear syncro is always the first to go, since that gear gets the most shifting activity (going both up and down the gears). Unless you blip the gas exactly right (or "double-clutch" properly) when downshifting, you're calling on (actually, bashing) the syncro to mesh the gears, so when it inevitably starts to wear out, you start feeling the gears hitting each other slightly out of sync... Replacing worn out syncros used to be a normal repair, but nowadays most places would likely either not know how or simply not want to (since it requires disassembling and re-assembling the transmission). Worst case, find yourself a shop that specializes in tranny work (*not* one of the chain automatic tranny shops).

Reply to
Ron Seiden