60 degree pushrod V6 Mopar engine

Can this engine be used in RWD swaps? Is it pretty reliable? What is its weight? Does it have any known weak points?

Both the 3.8 V6 Ford 90 degree engine and the V6 Chevy have successfully flown. Never heard of the Chrysler even being considered.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

I presume you mean the 3.3 and 3.8 v6 engines from the minivans (and formerly used in the New Yorker/Dynasty, and the first-generation Concorde/Vision/Intrepid). I have no idea what the weight is, and no there are no known weak points. Those engines are rocks of Gibraltar when it comes to durability. On the down side, there are also few or no performance upgrades so you're pretty well stuck with stock power levels unless you roll-your-own engine management, intake, cams, exhaust, etc.

I don't think the bellhousing bolt pattern on those is compatible with any Mopar RWD transmission either, so you're on your own there too. The Mopar 90-degree v6s (the old 3.9 and the current 3.7), like all

90-degree v6s other than the Buick 3800, are pretty doggy for their size and weight, so most people would rather just use a v8.
Reply to
Steve

The 3.8 liter Ford V6, which had almost zero aftermarket equipment available, was relatively speaking very popular in experimental aircraft. Maybe a hundred of them have flown, maybe two hundred. Otherwise, no one wants them so they go to the crusher.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

You would not want to do that. These engines are coupled to the Chrysler

41TE transmission, there was never a manual transmission option for them. The 41TE, while a fine transmission for normal grocery-getter work, would almost certainly start shearing gears and such if you put any real power into it.

The 2.5L Turbo is what you want to soup up. There was also a manual transmission for it and lots of hi-pro parts for it.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Isn't there a RWD application for this basic engine? Maybe for a Locost or dune buggy it would be OK.

Dunno if I would fly one though.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Don't think you would want to bother.. since they quit putting them in the Intrepid/Concord.. they don't have the mounts to put them in the normal front back manner.. they are only used in the minivans now and are mounted transverse style..add that to the fact of what Ted posted no trans..

Reply to
me!

How hard would making up a bellhousing be?

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

No. Not from the factory, anyway.

Conceptually simple. Easy enough for anyone with an NC mill and the required skills. Kinda costly in materials, most likely. But where's the payoff? Hot-rod/custom applications are all about power, and a v8 or the turbo 4s are a better option for that than the v6. Yes, its a brutally reliable indestructible minivan/sedan engine. But that doesn't translate to any desirability in a custom application.

Reply to
Steve

Actually, my real interest was for experimental aircraft, where what is needed is a reduction gear. The V6 Ford was a success because you could get them in the junkyard for nothing-since they lasted the chassis life and were unwanted by hot rodders they were no-wantums.

My understanding is this V6 is also a no-wantum, therefore also cheap.

But there would be a potential auto aftermarket, albeit small, for repowering Brit sports cars, kit cars, or Locosts. I want to build a Locost-but not as bad as i want to build an airplane.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

The 2.5 turbo -IS- a turbo 4!

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Ah, I agree then. And for aircraft apps, I'd say this engine is about as good as you can get. I'm kinda one of those people that thinks car engines shouldn't fly. Different design constraits result in some fairly fundamental differences, but then again they don't call them "experimental" aircraft for nothing either.

But doesn't the "I coulda had a v8 for the same effort" factor apply there too? :-)

Reply to
Steve

Uhh... yeah? So? :-) He asked about the 60-degree V6 engines (3.3 and 3.8).

And by the way, live's easier with the turbo 4, because the 2.5 NA

4-banger WAS used in a rear-drive app: the early Dakota! So there are RWD transmissions out there that bolt up to the 2.2/2.5, unlike the 60-degree v6 engines.
Reply to
Steve