'65 Chrysler trans fluid

Ok you Chrysler gurus: I need to KNOW what kind of trans fluid a '65 should use. Two different parts stores have told me two different types. They're the only ones that *thought* they knew; no one else would even guess. Do any of you *know* what kind it takes? 383 - 727 TIA, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

Reply to
ThaDriver

Back in those days, things were much simpler. There was type *F* for Fords and dexron for just about everything else. I would think that dexron 3 or better would work just fine.

I don't know what putting ATF3+/7176 would do or not do for an older transmission. You may wish to check on allpar.com in the transmission section.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

Dexron would be the original factory recommended fluid but ATF+3 is also suitable. If slightly firmer shifting is desired type F can also be used.

Reply to
John Kunkel

Thanks guys. I haven't been working with older Mopars for a long time (although I'm a *large* fan) so I couldn't think of the best place to look. Turns out it was here. :-) Visited Allpar & got the info (confirmation) I needed: "Use Dexron II or III fluid. In 1962 Chrysler suggested using Type A, Suffix A fluid, but that fluid has been superceded by Dexron II and III.". Took awhile to find it... Thanks again, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

I checked today and... this is the oldest I've ever been.

Reply to
ThaDriver

Yep, the fluids commonly sold that meet both the DexronIII and Mercon spec work just fine in those transmisisons.

It works perfectly. ATF+3 and +4 are fully backward-compatible with all the Dexron family of fluids, dating all the way back to the pre-Dexron "Type A." But its wasted money in a transmission that's perfectly happy on Dexron/Mercon, and ATF+3 is actually inferior in those cases because it has such poor oxidation characteristics. +4 fixed the oxidation problems that +3 had.

Reply to
Steve

Is it backward compatible with my 1940 FluidDrive?

But its wasted money in a transmission that's perfectly happy

Reply to
Count Floyd

IIRC, Chrysler "fluid drives" used engine oil, not a separate transmission fluid.

But if I recall wrong and they used Type A fluid, then in theory it would be compatible. But I wouldn't do it- a) its a big waste of money, and b) I'd be a little concerned about the effect the added friction modifiers might have.

Reply to
Steve