84 Voyager Struts

I researched the source of a 500 Hz vibration at idle, mostly in the cab and I think I've located it as being the exhaust resonator touching the frame.

The questions are:

  1. Will replacing the struts increase the clearance between the resonator and frame.
  2. Do the helical springs loose their springiness and collapse, making the repair above ineffective.
  3. How do I tell if struts are "leaking" ? everything looks pretty oily

Notes:

  1. I replaced the front motor mount which was chewed up.
  2. The other two motor mounts appear intact.
  3. Engine size = 2.6L

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Red Ryder

Are you refering to the catylitic convertor hitting the k frame on accel? Causing this noise? And does it not do it in reverse?

Reply to
maxpower

Sorry for the repost, but I could not add to the thread because "Unable to retrieve message snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com "

In response to the last post, I haven't noticed in reverse, however it knocks loudest at idle. I don't think its a cat (no wires to any sensor) and it would be touching a "I" beam directly under the firewall. Thank-you.

Reply to
Red Ryder

clean up the struts. Drive around for a while. Then check the strut again. If it is oil, it is probably leaking.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez