'86 New Yorker

Hello everyone. I am inquiring about my '86 New Yorker. I got it about 3 months ago and it has ran well for the short time i've owned it, considering its ago. So far the only thing that has gone wrong with it has been the Power Module. (Computer) And, thanks to someone in the group (my memory fails me) who recommended where to begin looking, I checked Car-Parts.com and found one in my home state for $45.00 shipped and had it in 24 hours. Installed it and my car runs perfectly and does not cut-off anymore.

Now, my first problem that I've been overlooking... When I first got the car, it ran beautifully. I asked the previous owner how old the brakes were, and he said a few years. About two weeks after getting the car home, I decided to remove the drivers side, front wheel to check the brakes. I noticed that the pads had lots of material left and reinstalled the tire. (Tightened the lugs in an alternating pattern) Later, I took it for a ride and noticed that the front end would shake a bit and the shaking increased as the speed increased. I can't figure what I did wrong.

Yesterday, I removed both tires and checked the front end and found nothing. The ball goints seemes tight as did the tie rode. It began getting dark so I gave up. Reinstalled the tire and no change. Still shakes.

Looking at the Haynes manual, it shows the rack held down by (4) bolts. This, I did not check.

Could my problem be due to a bad Rack & Pinion or does it sound like the axles?? It feels very unsafe. Help!

Reply to
Jesse

BTW, The car has a 2.2L Turbo and a 3-speed automatic)

Reply to
Jesse

It shakes as it's going down the road, no brake application, and no throttle? (Just coasting at speed?) Possibly an unbalanced wheel/tire assembly Possibly an out-of-round tire, or a partially deflated tire

Shakes only with brake application: Possibly a warped brake rotor -- could be caused by improper lug nut torque Loose steering component

Shakes only with throttle depressed (on accel): Possibly a bad inner CV joint Loose steering component

There's other possibilities, but these are things to check for first.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

car-part.com . That would've been me.

Probably lost a wheel balance weight in the process of removing and reinstalling the wheels. Go have all four spin-balanced.

Throw your Haynes manual in the trash before you hurt yourself or others. Get a FACTORY service manual for 1986 Chrysler front wheel drive passenger cars. 3-volume set of books with VASTLY better, more detailed information, also none of the many errors found in Haynes and Chilton books. They are easily and inexpensively found used on Ebay.

You didn't change the rack and pinion or the axles -- you removed and replaced a wheel/tire assembly, and that's when the vibration started.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern