'87 LeBaron - Intermittent Non-Start

Hello group - your advice needed, badly!

I went to start my 87 LeBaron GTS 2.2 Turbo this morning and the car cranked beautifully but wouldn't start. I turned the key to on and could not hear the whine of the fuel pump, so this suggested a failed pump to me. In addition, the last time the car was driven (started perfect) was in rainy weather.

However, of course after scheduling a tow-in to the garage (due to my lack of tools) the car starts and drives beautifully, and the pump does not sound in any way out of the ordinary. I started the vehicle 3 or 4 times and drove it around the block to be sure it wasn't a fluke. It has not rained all day today. The car did not throw any codes when I checked.

To me, this suggests faulty wiring somewhere that may be susceptible to moisture - especially if the fuel pump itself sounds as it always has. Where is wiring most vulnerable? What other things might be causing my problem? This is the first time it has happened in the 3 years I've owned the car. I am going to take the risk of driving the car now, but it won't leave the city. Any help/suggestions/advice here would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks, Aaron

Reply to
Aaron

May never happen again, or could be fuel pump getting ready to fail - possibly brushes worn to their end-of-life (intermittent, temperature dependent), or intermittent relay.

Bill Putney

UPDATE: The car wouldn't start again this morning, same absence of fuel pump noise. I get it towed to the shop - low and behold, the damn thing starts. They're going to wait for the car to cool, and may perhaps have to wait until tomorrow morning to see if it does the same thing. AGGGGH! Thoughts???

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron

Auto Shutdown relay and its circuit Fuel pump relay and its circuit Ignition switch SMEC (ECM) pins and connector sockets Fuel pump and its circuit

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

As always kind of hard to diagnose things "over the phone",, but that said,

I would suspect the "pigtail" on the fuel pump especially if you live in an area with salty roads in the winter time..or at that age even the pump itself,, next time it doesn't start crawl under and tap the tank (near the pump) with a block of wood or something handy and try again.

Reply to
Ted