87 Reliant, power loss and stalls. Got codes but dunno what.

Hi. My 87 Reliant (2.5L) stalls when stopping, especially when colder. Hesitates when running, and has low power and bad mileage. I got codes

33 and 34. As per a list of codes, they refer to AC and speed control, but my car doesn't have AC not cruise. Anyboody knows of alternative interpretations that may give me clues? Speed sensor maybe?

Thanks a lot

Reply to
streblo

Hi streblo...

Not a mechanic, so I stand ready to be corrected, but I think you'll find that "speed control" doesn't refer to cruise control, but rather to the speed sensor...

I further suggest that it's in the transaxle, and is responsible for "deciding" whether the car is idling or coasting, and the computer uses that information to determine where to put the idle air control motor.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Code 34=Speed control solenoid circuit driver. This code will be set if vehicle does not have cruise. 33 will also be set if no A/C.

Vehicle speed sensor would be code 15.

Reply to
Mike

So Mike, this means that 34 and 33 will be set as default codes in my cruise-less and AC-less car? in other words, I'm getting no fault codes in spite of the evident failures. Any ideas on where to loook first?

Reply to
streblo

Yes. I don't know why chrysler did it that way but if you don't have cruise or A/C, those fault codes with be set.

Any ideas on where to loook first?

Don't know how many miles you have on that but a compression test might be a good place to start. Then I would check the usual, plugs, wires, cap, rotor. You didn't mention if you have a carb or fuel injection. If it's carbureted it might be time for an overhaul or replacement. If it's fuel injected check the idle speed motor. You might also want to hook up a scan tool that can read sensor data while on a road test to see if you have a sensor that is out of spec, but not out enough to set a code. A bad O2 sensor or MAP sensor may cause those symptoms.

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
The Bathtub Admiral

Hi, I have an 88 reliant and I am almost experiencing what you are going thru. My 2.5 liter 4 cyclinder has about 300 000 plus kilometers on it, and I do have aslight power problem with starting and idoling. it tends to want to stall and idol very roughly, even though its fuel injected, something is not right... Ii replaced all spark plugs wires cap and rotor and yet its been almost a year since I replaced it entirely, it still runs roughly in both warm and cold temps. I think my problem may be coolant related. have a leaky radiator and leak about 2 liters of water every 2nd day i have to refill it, that is when it really loses power and becomes sluggish in acceleration when water is low. Not sure if this is of any help to you so thought i may run this issue by you.

Reply to
downwithdodgeandchrysler

The main problem was a faulty spark, the car was actually running with

3 cyls. It runs well now but it will not start with the MAP sensor connected. I get a series of codes related with MAP (13, 14) so I'll get a used sensor to se what (a new one is about $100).

Cheers

downwithdodgeandchrysler wrote:

Reply to
streblo

If the car will not start with the map sensor connected and will when it is disconnected you found your problem!!! replace the map sensor because it is shorted out.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower