89 Caravan 3.0 L Starter Problem

89 Grand Caravan, 3.0 Liter, 4 sp auto. Premium quality battery 6 months old, voltage is good. Starter is still in the vehicle, but I believe it is the Nippondenso starter. Most of the label on it is worn away, but peering under the van I can see it does say "Made in Japan".

I'm having the click but no start problem. Yesterday I replaced the relay on the fender, and today it clicked again. From reading the archives of this newsgroup, I know that it is almost certainly the contacts in the starter.

Unfortunately I don't have time to try to find the contacts locally.

So my question is, if I buy the solenoid only, will new contacts be part of the solenoid? Or is is a case of one of the contacts is on the solenoid, and the other is part of the starter?

Reply to
Tony Sivori

Tony,

Try this web site:

Ordering Since you have the older Mitsubishi 3.0L (long starter?), it appears you will probably need either 2 type "A" contacts or possibly one "A" and one "C". The pictures at the above site are very good and should be a good guide on what you need. I think the guy offers overnight shipment if you pay the fee. He also offers a pack of all 4 contacts for $19.50 and you can return the unused ones to him for a $4 each credit in case you are not sure which ones you need.

As to the contacts coming in the replacement solenoid, I would assume this would have to be true given the design, but have never purchased just the solenoid for this starter so can't say for certain.

Bob .

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Thanks for the info. The links and pictures are very helpful.

Reply to
Tony Sivori