90 3.0 rough idle and miss

hello I have a 90 ply.voyager a little over 192,000,It's a hoss. about 3 months ago it started to idle rough with a little bit of miss I cleaned the plugs and we were fine,[ plugs have to be cleaned about every 1500 mi due to an oil coating problem] this practice has worked thus far but about 2 weeks ago that stoped working the idle got rougher the missing has gotten worse.I've checked plugs,wires,cap,rotor,coil,haven't heard any vac leaks,it just won't come out of it.The problem starts at start up,dosen't get any worse or better throughout driving,getting up to speed is now a problem but will hold speed once you get there[unless going up hill] then it wants to slow down.It kind of sounds like somthings cloged or like a chug.It's a delivery van lot's of stop and go and idleing,no stalling yet! Could someone please give me an idea of what to do?

Thanks

Reply to
fleshbobroundpants

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@k35g2000prh.googlegroups.com...

Instead of cleaning the old plugs, try installing a new set of platinum plugs (maybe even the Bosch dual ground electrode platinums) along with new wires. (In the old days, an oil coating problem on the plugs could be fixed by installing plugs one heat range hotter than stock -- assuming you don't have any overheating problems. Don't know if that can still be done with modern plug heat ranges & all...) Also, a vacuum leak you can't hear can still cause the mixture to go lean enough to cause problems (especially as cars these days run at the ragged edge of lean normally). If the vacuum hoses are old enough, they could have cracks leaking enough air. Either spray them with something like WD-40 while it's idling & see if the idle changes (a sign that they're leaking), or just change them all on general principles. The kind of driving you describe can produce high under-hood temps that will dry out the hoses faster, leading to air leaks... And then there's always the "re-set the computer" gambit. Lots of things change as the vehicle ages and wears, so the computer needs a fresh look at it all. Disconnect the ground cable from your battery and leave it for 10-15 minutes (or longer -- go for a snack). This should allow the pre-sets to evaporate. Re-connect the battery and when you next start up the engine, it will run oddly for a minute (more or less) as the computer gets fresh readings from all the worn stuff and implements new settings based on these now up-to-date readings.

Reply to
Ron Seiden

Mitsubishi engine? Not that great an engine. Burning much oil?

Reply to
who

Since you have a 1990, do you know if the valve seals and guides have been checked? 3.0's of this vintage had a problem of the seals leaking, and the value guides sinking into the heads. These problems were address later, before the 3.0 was discontinued. If you go to allpar.com, there is extensive information about this

-KM.

Reply to
kmath50