90 voyager air filter box hoses question

That's fairly low mileage.

Why? Did it need those things? Or were you just guessing, just shooting in the dark?

That may squeak you by the test, but, really, it's dumb to cheat on emission tests this way. Most anything that causes you to flunk the test also causes you to get lower gas mileage and worse performance. You're really better off finding and fixing the problem than horsing around trying to cheat past the test.

Yep: When it's in proper repair, it'll pass for sure.

So do the testers. Idle speed is checked; if it's too high the vehicle is flunked.

Why don't you start by seeing if any trouble codes have been stored?

To check the computer codes:

With the engine off, switch the ignition key on-off-on-off-on, leaving it "ON". Do not go to "start", just "on" during this procedure.

Watch the "Check Engine" or "Power Loss" light. It will turn on, then go off, then will begin to flash-out any trouble codes that have been stored. For instance, if it flashes:

flash flash flash

flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash

flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash

Then you have a 12 (one flash followed by two) a 35 (three and five) and a

55 (five and five). 55 means "end of codes" or, if by itself, "No codes stored. Check the codes and report what you find.
Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I bought a 90 voyager with 182000km on it with the 3.0 L v6 3 speed auto.

It failed emissions so i gave it new spark plugs, wires and rotor, I put guarenteed to pass in the gas tank and when the gas is almost empty i am supposed to go test again.

I noticed 2 hoses from the air filter box. The bottom hose goes nowhere but straight down. Is it supposed to go somewhere?? Thanks Gears

P.S Anything else i can do to help it pass? I know the trick about increasing the idle speed a little bit.

Reply to
gears

How old's the air filter? You'd be surprised how much a slightly dirty air filter can negatively effect emissions test results.

Bill Putney

The bottom hose is a drain, it just hangs there.

Hard to recommend anything without seeing the emissions test results.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Gears wrote "Was that the O2 sensor clearly visible on the exhaust manifold when you take off the air filter box? I haven't replaced one before but it looks easy. Is there just one? Any precausions to take when replacing it?"

It looks like a spark plug in the exhaust pipe. You may want to check good because I had another brand vehicle that had two O2 sensors. I replaced both. They were a little hard to get out but I was able to get them back in with no problem. I sprayed Kroil oil on the threads to loosen the rust.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

It failed emissions on the hydrocarbons both at idle and at driving speed. The limit was 200 and it got about 1000.

My mom's friend owned it and she had the catalytic convertor and muffler etc, replaced about 2 years ago. She also had the o2 sensor replaced about 2 years ago. The air filter was dirty-----I replaced (and that little filter in the filter box as well) I changed the oil. Then I had the emissions done.

After it failed, I started checking the spark plugs and wires, etc. I noticed one of the wires was corroded all blue and so was that spot on the distributor cap. This tells me that no or very little power was going through that wire to the spark plug, therefore 1 cylinder was not firing? I am hoping that this is what caused it to fail.

The rest of the wires and spark plugs looked good, the plugs looked like normal wear. So I just went ahead and replaced the wires and plugs. I have been driving it to work 120km round trip since Monday and it seems to be better. My wife can rev the engine and no smoke comes out the tailpipe.

Anyway I am going to try that check engine code thing and I am going to have it emissions again on Friday or Saturday.

Gears

P.S. I am not trying to cheat the emissions, I want it clean as well. The most I can do myself without taking it to an expensive shop is what I want. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
gears

Ok, I checked the engine codes.

12-battery recently disconnected 34-idle speed control shortened(I've been playing around with it) 51-Oxygen sensor stuck at lean position 21-Oxygen sensor signal doesn't change 55-end of codes

Then I disconnected the battery and got only

12-battery recently disconnected 55-end of codes

I started it and let it run a minute or 2 and got the same 12 and 55 codes. So after work tomorrow, I'll check again and see if those O2 sensor codes come up. (2 years ago the van failed on hydrocarbons so maybe they did not reset the computer?) Was that the O2 sensor clearly visible on the exhaust manifold when you take off the air filter box? I haven't replaced one before but it looks easy. Is there just one? Any precausions to take when replacing it?

Thanks

Reply to
gears

That's certainly gross-polluter territory.

Likely the catalytic converter is on its way to being thoroughly cooked by now if you're failing at 1000 ppm hydrocarbons.

If someone put in a Bosch sensor, it could easily have failed in the first

2 months, let alone the last 2 years.

OK, that's a start...did you do a complete inspection and service of the PCV system?

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern