91 dodge 2.5 won't start

I got this van, drove it home, everything that ran off the battery died. The car was still runing, I tried to put it back in drive after getting out for a minute and then it died. I replaced fusable links, cleaned up wires. Everything electric works, but the starter doesn't even click. I can not find the starter relay, or the fuse box under the hood, which some one told me to check. I have helped work on a couple cars with ex-boyfriends, but I'm at a loss. Can anyone tell me something?? Please and thanks. ~Dawn

Reply to
8sahpmi

Terry

The fuse box for the Caravan is inside the vehicle not under the hood. It is located on the driver's side near the hood release latch.

The starter not clicking could be something as simple as enough current not getting to it because the battery posts and terminals may be dirty. By that I mean, a gray deposit builds up inside the terminal and on the battery post itself.

Another cause of insufficient current to the starter could be the negative wire from the battery to the block could be corroded inside where the strands of the wires could be severely corroded. Check that and if it is severly corroded replace that terminal wire.

There is a connector on the positive terminal wires that may not be connected or has come apart. Make sure that is clean and connected. That wiring goes straight to the starter solenoid that is mounted on the starter.

There is the possibility that your neutral/park safety swicth is not working right. Try to start the van in neutral or jiggle the shifter a little while you try to start it.

I tried to put a couple photos showing the fuse box location and battery to starter wiring on my 91 Caravan that I am working on (bad head gasket).

Since this is my first time posting, I don't know if they will show up. If not, maybe you can paste the link minus the IMG tags and see them (I put the battery wires back on the battery to take the photo). If you can see it, the black connector with the smaller red wires goes straight to the starter in the back of the engine block.

Terry

[IMG]
[IMG]
Terry

Another thing to try is taking a hammer and tapping on the starter. I had a starter once that the bendix inside would hang up and the starter wouldn't crank. Tappng on it free'd t up and then would start. I eventually replaced the starter and hadn't happened since.

Terry

Reply to
Terry