91 Shadow won't stay running

Hi- Just got a 1991 Dodge Shadow 2.5 L for free, 'cept it won't stay running. The guy who gave me the car said MAP sensor, so I replaced it with no results.Basically, the car, when cold, will fire up and run, sputteringly for a few seconds, and if you give it some gas, it seems like it's misfiring or hesitating then it stalls out. Then it won't start again. If you let it sit and pump the gas again, it will fire up and stall out immeditatly, as if you were doing the old carb cleaner trick. It's like it's not getting fuel. But why will it initially start and stay running for a few secs? Fuel pump, err, TPS, or injectors? Thanks for any and all help!!

Reply to
burningairline

Hi- Just got a 1991 Dodge Shadow 2.5 L for free, 'cept it won't stay running. The guy who gave me the car said MAP sensor, so I replaced it with no results.Basically, the car, when cold, will fire up and run, sputteringly for a few seconds, and if you give it some gas, it seems like it's misfiring or hesitating then it stalls out. Then it won't start again. If you let it sit and pump the gas again, it will fire up and stall out immeditatly, as if you were doing the old carb cleaner trick. It's like it's not getting fuel. But why will it initially start and stay running for a few secs? Fuel pump, err, TPS, or injectors? Thanks for any and all help!!

Reply to
burningairline

Since this earlier model has the DRB diagnostic system, I would suggest retrieving any stored codes. This can be done with the "key on / key off" sequence. The "check engine" light will display codes in two-digit values. A 5-5 means end of codes. Further information can be found on allpar.com, in the "repairs -> computer codes" section.

-KM

Reply to
KirkM