'92 Dodge Dynasty 3.3L A604 Trans problem.

Hello,

I have a '92 Dodge Dynasy with 190,000 miles on it. As I was driving home from work, the car shifted suddenly into 2nd gear (limp mode?) and now will not shift into a higher gear. It was a very sudden change at about 45 MPH. Using the ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF method, there are no codes stored (only

55). Other than not shifting out of second, everything else seems fine. The fluid is full and pink, the fluid and filter were change 6 months ago (ATF+4).

Any thoughts about what suddenly went amiss? Could a sensor (input or output) have failed? Any help would be appreciated!

Bret

Reply to
Bret K

Sensor failure is the most common cause of this, particularly if you've got fluid. But... you mentioned lots of fluid -- have you checked the fluid level since it went into limp-home mode?

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Yes, I checked the fluid level after it went to limp mode and it was full and pink.

However, you are correct. It turns out that the output speed sensor had gone defective and was causing the problem. I replaced it and all is well again. Thank you for your prompt reply.

Reply to
Bret K

The input and output sensors are one of the things that can cause limp mode. The other thing is the solenoid valve pack.

If it *is* a speed sensor, if the speedometer works normally when the problem occurs, it is definitely the output speed sensor that is the problem. If the speedometer works normally when the problem occurs, then the output speed sensor is *not* the problem, but could be the input speed sensor or some other cause.

Reply to
Bill Putney

Oops - I see you got it fixed. You should be able to confirm that in fact the speedometer was not working when it was in limp mode.

Reply to
Bill Putney

The speedo was working normally before / during / after the event. It turns out that the output speed sensor was defective. After replacing it, all worked normally again (yeah!)

Reply to
Bret K

The speedometer on the '92 Dynasty is driven by the VSS which is turned by the passenger half shaft. It is not driven by a converted form of the trans output speed sensor signal.

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

My bad. I'm familiar with the later Chrysler cars (LH) in which the speedometer and odometer information is derived from the output speed sensor. I shouldn't have tried to relate that to an earlier platform.

Reply to
Bill Putney

You are correct. I should not have tried to transfer what I know about LH cars to the Dynasty.

Reply to
Bill Putney