93 Dodge Caravan Stalling Problems

He will necessarily get a 12 at the start if any code is stored.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

-----------------

- *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road

-----------------

Reply to
Say What?

Our 93 Caravan with 3.3 did the same thing. The fix was a new EGR valve assembly. It was the EET that was bad but to get the EET you will have to buy the complete EGR valve assembly. The EET ( Electric EGR Transducer ) sets behind the throttle body and is bolted to the intake. There will be a source acuum to the EET and the vacuum will then go down to the EGR valve. There will also be and electrical connector on the EET. I checked yours buy removing the source vacuum and holding my finger over it - the van started idling smooth. Hope the info. helps.

Warren

Reply to
warreny

I've never not had the 12. Under what conditions don't you get the 12?

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

If any fault codes are stored, the flash sequence *will* start with 12.

If no fault codes are stored *and* the SMEC/SBEC has lost power feed within the last 50 to 70 (per spec) engine start events, the flash sequence *will* be "12, 55".

If no fault codes are stored *and* the SMEC/SBEC has *not* lost power feed within the last 50 to 70 (per spec) engine start events, the flash sequence *may* (per spec) consist only of "55".

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Thanks for the info. Of course the million dollar question. How much?

-----------------

- *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road

-----------------

Reply to
Say What?

I checked again. I did it twice, and got the same response twice. This is the way I saw it.

There was the 1-2 flash to begin (flash pause then flash flash) Then it went 3-2 Then 7-7 Then 5-3 Then 5-5

Like I say, I got the same result twice in a row. I hope this helps.

-----------------

- *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road

-----------------

Reply to
Say What?

Good. "Start of codes".

Computer sees no change in air/fuel ratio when EGR activated. VERY consistent with your symptoms! Check for defective EGR valve and EGR valve controller.

Don't believe there's any such code.

Engine control computer internal fault (so much for that $100 replacement computer...)

"End of codes".

DS

Reply to
Daniel J Stern

OK, I've never felt the need to check the codes if the computer wasn't indicating a failure via the light.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Yes, I'd go ask for your original, and likely good, computer back and then fix the real problem which is in your EGR system.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

-----------------

- *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road

-----------------

Reply to
Say What?

As for the cost, my 93 failed an emission test and the problem was the EGR. Nov 2002, the EGR/EET assy cost me $100 Canadian (approx $60 US at that time). Fairly simple replacement. If I recall there is also required a small gasket. Ask your parts guy and/or make sure its included.

Reply to
Mike Martin

No, *it's* telling you it's a problem.

How come? You just *gave* it to them? Go get it back, it doesn't belong to them!

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

There are more trouble codes that will *not* illuminate the light than there are codes that will!

Chrysler gave you a very good self-diagnostic feature that requires no special tool; it's good practice to use it every once in awhile (every oil change...).

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Thanks for answering. I too am in Canada. And 100 bucks I can handle. Can I ask where you went to have it done? Was it a Canadian Tire? I was thinking of going there because I'm at my wits end finding somebody who knows what they're doing. The dummy I went to yesterday cost me almost 300 bucks, but he didn't know what he was doing! And of course didn't find the source of the problem, outside of changing the computer. Which probably didn't even need changing!

-----------------

- *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road

-----------------

Reply to
Say What?

-----------------

- *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road

-----------------

Reply to
Say What?

Yes, the new Canbus system, where the computer controls everything, we are going to see more expensive computer replacements required. Rear wipers and washers are common.

Reply to
clare

Well, I won't say "told you so"

Reply to
clare

UNLESS the actual problem is a failure of the output circuit that controls the EGR. The computer would then TELL the EGR to operate and the valve would not get the signal. OR the computer gets the signal from the EGR Monitor circuit and does not handle it properly.

I would strongly suspect, however, that the old computer WAS OK, and the EGR is the problem. Put the old computer in first. Then test for codes again to see if the bad computer code is gone, and all other codes the same.

ALSO, make sure the throttle body is cleaned up properly, including the Idle Speed Controller.

Reply to
clare

My experience with CTC has not been terribly positive - and I worked for them for a few months almost 20 years ago. What I saw would curl your hair.

Reply to
clare