93 GC 3.3 Plugs

Ok first off thanks for the info on the computer code readers but they went way higher than I was able to pay so I will not be purchasing one of them.

Now my van is going into the shop to have the tranny pulled and repaired, I bought this thing with 153,000Km on it but found out later that it had over 300,000Km on it and we have put almost 100,000Km on it since we bought it. When we got that van I bought 6 bosch platinum plugs for it and installed the front 3, tried to take the intake off for the back 3 as my hands and arms are just to big to fit in there and the plug wires were on so tight so the other 3 sat in the back of the van. Well about 2 years ago someone stole the van and the 3 plugs. I never had it anywhere long enough where someone could change them from underneath. Well since the tranny is gonna be out I figure this is the perfect time to change them. I have not looked at the front 3 since last year but when I have looked at them they were fine. Problem here is I keep hearing people say these plugs are junk, yet this is the 3rd vehicle I have had them in. First one was a Buick lesabre 3.8 liter and I put 2 sets in it, first set was about a year or so old when it started running bad and I was told dirty injectors, car wouldn't go over 120KPH well it got bad enough trouble codes where getting set as too lean and top speed was

80KPH. Mechanic at work said bring it over and we will run some really good cleaner through it, so we did, discoded the fuel system and ran this stuff with the engine running it was tuff getting it to run but it ran. He then said I needed to change the plugs even though I had the good ones in it so I got a new set, the ones I took out looked virtually identical to what I put in. Used them again in mercury sable 3.8 liter again never had any problems with them.

So my question is are these things that bad? Should I use them in the back of my 3.3 dodge? Should I use something else? I don't want to have to change these things for a long time if I can help it.

I figure since its going to have the tranny out it would be a great time for me to pop over there and change them or to have them change them for me as access should be easy with the tranny out?

Thanks

Reply to
Len G

Poor choice of spark plugs. Bosch plugs are almost as bad as Bosch aftermarket O2 sensors.

NGKs, Autolites, or even Champions would be better than Bosch.

So this is the 3rd vehicle you've overpaid for junk spark plugs for...what's your point?

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Then start out with good plugs. NGK's ordinary V-power ones (GR45 for your vehicle) work great; if you gotta, just gotta spend more money on spark plugs, NGK makes an excellent platinum (GR45GP for you). Should be able to snag the Platinums for $2.30/plug or so, regular V-powers for less. Gap them correctly (0.060").

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

At one point I had to have a Dodge truck towed into the dealer for service and their repair was to replace my bosch platinum plugs with champion and drive it home! Wasn't a smart way to spend a couple hundred bucks!

KS

Reply to
KS

Point is in those vehicle's I never had a problem with them at all and the 3 in here now don't seem to be a problem either.

Well guess I will look for some NGK's then, I hope Canadian tire has them as that's the only place open today here that I can actually drive to.

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Len G

Well I went to the only place open today that I can drive to with no

3rd and locked >>
Reply to
Len G