93 Grand Caravan 3.3 Shimmy part II

Well, I had the tires balanced today and the shimmy is still there. It seems to come in at around 15-20 mph and then goes away around 40 mph and at highway speeds is fine. The motor mounts are fine, I replaced them last year. I replaced the timing chain last weekend and needed to remove the passenger side motor mount. I know these can be adjusted slightly. Is it possible it did not go back in the same position it was in and causing the problem ? I did not loosen the front or drivers side mount, so I wouldn't think it could be far off. And I don't know if this would cause a shimmy. The Haynes manual said a possible cause could be worn rear bearings and I will check those tomorrow. Someone said it could be a worn inner cv joint. Is there a way to check for that ?

any other suggestions would be helpful, thanks, Nick

Reply to
ncs

jdoe

Reply to
Ron McBeth

Ron;

With your bent rim, did the problem go away at higher speeds ? I would think if the rim is bent, the shimmy would be there no matter what speed you were driving at. Maybe the shimmy is just more pronounced at the slower speeds.

thanks, Nick

Reply to
ncs

One other thing, the wheels are those aluminum alloy wheels and not the steel rims. thanks

Reply to
ncs

Vehicles respond to imbalances differently at different speeds - it's called "resonance". At a resonant frequency, parts of an object (vehicle) can shake with more displacement than what the excitation (the displacement of the actual bent part) is. At other frequencies (vehicle speeds), the same vibration gets damped out and may not be noticeable. This is often seen in vehicles with slightly out-of-balance or out-of-round tires where the shake is felt at, say, 47 to 49 mph, but hardly noticeable, or not noticeable, at other speeds.

Also sometimes a vibration can come and go. This can be caused by more than one tire/wheel being bent or out of balance. As the vehicle travels, the very slight difference in tire diameters (or going around turns) can at times put the two imbalances in-phase with each other, reinforcing (adding to) each other and being noticeable, and at other times being out of phase with each other and mostly canceling each other out so that the shake is not felt. This is often the case when a shake comes and goes under otherwise identical conditions with no other explanation.

Bill Putney

Reply to
jdoe

Larry,

Thanks, I plan on having someone check the cv joints. The passenger side is a couple of years old, had to replace it when the ABS tone ring cracked. I had the tires rotated and balanced the other day. No change. The problem is somewhat intermittent. By that I mean there are times when it doesn't shake/shimmy, but more times than not it does it. Also, it seems to occur only between 20 and 35/40 mph. At speeds higher than that it is gone. A real puzzle. I would rather it be a bad tie rod or ball joint, but those are good.

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
ncs