94 2.5L stick shift, dumb question

This might be a very dumb question, but...

Today, when I was checking the oil in my 94 Caravan 2.5 stick shift, I noticed an open slot, about 2-3 inches x 1/2 inch, in the top of the transmission/clutch area. You can see through the slot, into the clutch area-- big gear, etc.---and I never noticed that before.

Is this normal? Or did it used to have some kind of cover or seal on that slot? There's a bit of a puddle of something on top of another component, lower than the slot and closer to the firewall, and I'm wondering if that might be transmission fluid spewing from the slot???

Reply to
Satan Himself