94 Caravan 3.0L Engine

Does anyone know where the tempature gauge needle is suppose to be at? When I drive it's at the second line and when I am sitting at a light or idleing it will go up to almost half. Just wondering what is normal for this car.

Bandwidth

Reply to
Bandwidth

Sitting at idle the gauge will steadily increase until its about 2/3's of the way to red-line. Then the radiator fan should turn on. It will stay on until the gauge decreases to about 1/3 of the way to red-line. Then the cycle starts again. Of course when you're driving you get the benefit of air cooling the radiator all the time and the temp should stay below 1/2 in normal conditions. Abnormal conditions are hot days running the A/C, long climbs up a hill and towing heavy loads. Another abnormal condition is something is broken.

Reply to
David Allen

Thank You. The reason I asked is because it was almost at half and the fan wouldn't kick on. We turned the Air on and the fan kicked right on. It wouldn't kick on otherwise. It's 32 degreese here. This clears up alot for me.

Bandwidth

Reply to
Bandwidth

Good. One thing to remember is that there are two fans. One to cool the radiator (fan controlled by coolant temp) and one to cool the freon in the condensor (fan turns on when A/C is activated).

Reply to
David Allen

i dont think its for cooling freon......its got 134a in it anyway

its more for the extra heat the engine creates when the A/C is on.

Reply to
robs440

The second fan's main objective is to remove heat from the 134 after it leaves the compressor, as well as add additional cooling capability for the engine due to the added load of the compressor.

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Au contraire. The purpose of the fan is to remove as much heat as possible from the r134a (or r12 or whatever's in there). The A/C compressor pressurizes the refrigerant, which heats it up dramatically. Passing it through the condensor IS the opportunity to remove that heat. Unlike coolant, refrigerant in auto A/C systems can't be cool enough so the fan is on all the time.

Reply to
David Allen

Actually, it IS to cool the condensor - freon, R22, R124, whatever you want to call it, needs to be cooled to condense. On some vehicles the rad and condenser are side by side. On others the condenser is ahead of the rad. Either way, the "condenser" fan comes on any time the AC compressor is running, or the AC is turned on - regardless of engine temperature. The "cooling " fan comes on when engine coolant temperature reaches a set point.

Reply to
clare

More likely, at 32 degrees F the engine coolant is not getting warm enough to turn the fan on.

Reply to
clare

I only see 1 fan. My 88 Plymoth Voyarger had 2 radiators. One for cooling and one for Regular. Each one had it's own fan. This one has one big one with one Radiator. If there is another one where is it?

Bandwidth

Reply to
Bandwidth

well if all you guys say thats what its for i'll go with it. AC was never my forte anyway!

Reply to
robs440

Not sure of 94 Caravans, but SOME vehicles have 2 speed fans.

Reply to
clare