94 Cherokee ignition timing

Hi,

I've poked around this and some other groups looking for some info. From what I've read online, it's not possible to change the ignition timing on a 1994 Jeep Cherokee with the 4L engine. I gave the local dealer a call and asked if they could do anything about the pinging (even on high test, it's getting bad). The dealer said turn the distributor. Everything I've read said this will not work.

Does anyone have any ideas what I might try to retard the timing? Or is there something else I should be checking?

thanks,

tom

Reply to
tfwilliams

Might be carbon build up.

Reply to
Joseph Myers

Reply to
mr158912

Carbon build up is a good possibility. Another thought: Failed or defective knock sensor if the vehicle is equipped with one?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

It shouldn't be pinging. The 4.0 is a crank-triggered electronic engine nanagement system, even though there's a distributor. Causes for pinging include a non-functional knock sensor, EGR not working, overheating, and excessive combustion chamber deposits.

Reply to
Steve