94 Concorde unpredictable starting

I have a 94 Concorde (130K miles) with the small V-6. It always starts and then runs well but the starting goes anything from an instantaneous start to having to crank for up to 3-5 seconds. I just installed new plug and wires which had no effect. I do get an occasional odor of raw gasoline which is very disconcerting and may be related but I'm not sure. There is no apparent correlation between cold vs. hot starts, outside temp, etc. I never know what it's going to do. It isn't getting noticeably worse over time.

I'd genuinely appreciate any suggestions from this group as you've been very helpful with past problems on this car.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Possibly fuel system is leaking down (imtermitently) while sitting - bad fuel pump or leaking injector(s). Since you smell raw gas, most likely an injector bleeding off into the intake - or external leak of a fuel line.

Bill Putney

Reply to
mic canic

It's the 3.3L V-6. Thanks to the earlier reply post from Bill, I may have solved it but still need to test it for a few days to be sure. I started looking at fuel related things and noted that the vacuum hose on the fuel pressure regulator was cracked and leaking. When I pulled the hose off to replace it, I noted gas on the vacuum side. I installed a new fuel pressure regulator last night and it seemed okay today. I'll post a note here if that was the final solution.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave