94 GC Stereo Installation...

I am looking at installing a new stereo into the dash of a 94 GC.

The first thing that I noticed is that the footprint of the stock stereo is not "standard". What a pain in the ass. So I got a kit to allow the install to look pro by filling the gaps.

However, I have never tried to pull the dash on this car. What is the best way to remove the dash and get it back in one piece? I hope this is not too difficult.

And while we are at it, anyone got any pointers on stereo installation? This is a good basic CD / MP3 player with detachable face plate. Nothing "high-end" or fancy.

I heard there are cable harness adapters to allow me to just plug into the existing connector from the van, so I plan to get one and wire the stereo that way. Should I ever sell the van, the stock stereo is going back in it, and I have no intention of cutting wires and connectors to do a "hack job" on it. Besides, to talk to an insurance agent, you would think the stereo was worth more than the van! lol!

All tips and pointers greatly accepted.

Thanks

Reply to
NewMan

Removal of the stereo is not difficult. Just remove the trim panel that surrounds the stereo. You should be able to do this with your fingers. Gently pull at different locations on the panel until it snaps free. You may need to remove the ash tray lamp, where it attaches to the back of the trim panel. At least my 1993 is this way.

Once the panel is removed, there will be two hex screws that hold in the radio. Loosen these, and then you can remove it. There will be the antenna cable, a ground strap, and two connectors to undo.

You already have the mounting kit. A wire adapter is also available so you can connect into the factory wiring without making any cuts. The wire adapter should include the color codes to connect to the aftermarket radio.

I bought a Jensen system at Circuit City for $79. Nothing fancy, but it has a detachable face, and AUX inputs to connect a portable audio device.

Does your van have the Infinity Sound System? If so, it will be more involved, because the speakers probably won't be directly compatible with the aftermarket system.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

Is this wire adapter after-market, or do I have to get this from Chrysler?

I WISH! ;) Nope just stock off-the-shell AM/FM/Cassette, so no problems there.

Reply to
NewMan

The wire harness adapter should be available from most stores that sell car audio. I have purchased them from Radio Shack and Pep Boys, just to name a couple.

The wiring configuration was pretty much the same on most Chrysler products from the early 1980's through the late 1990's. It uses a grey and and black connector for constant power, switched power, and for the speakers.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

If it's like mine what you have to do is take off the top trim on the top of the dash, this covers hidden screws that you remove, then there are more screws under the top section of the dash.

If your near a library, see if they have an allpar subscription and spend a few minutes looking up the procedure.

You really don't need an adapter, the wires are well marked. I guarentee that by the time you go to sell it, the CD player you buy now will be at the old rag stage and you can just let it go with the vehicle and buy a newer better one for your next vehicle. But, if you must preserve this, then just splice the new harness to the old one about an inch before the old connector and leave the old connector on the harness. When you go to put the old stereo back in, just cut off the new harness and cover the cut off ends with tape.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Got it, and done.

I removed the obvious screws, but could not quite figure out how to get the dash panel off properly,so I cheated and carefully stressed it upward just enough to slide in the new equipment.

The wiring harnes was indeed as you said, and the adapter piece was readily available and inexpensive!

Thanks for all the po>The wire harness adapter should be available from most stores that sell

Reply to
NewMan

Reply to
jdoe