'94 Intrepid in "Limp Mode".

I took the stock air filter that sit on top of the computer out and replaced it with a free breathing high performance type filter. Since that day, it runs in "limp mode". The transmission stay in second gear and won't change. Can just changing the air filter cause it to run in limp mode or was that just a coincidence? We changed the transmission oil filter and put ATF +4 back in and that didn't fix it. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Wayne

Sounds like a coinkidink.

Most common cause of limp mode is a bad speed sensor.

Bill Putney

Bill Putney wrote in news:d3besd$24e$ snipped-for-privacy@news.isdn.net:

We changed both sensors on the drivers side of the transmission. That didn't help. What else can cause limp mode?

Reply to
Wayne

A TRANSMISSION SCAN TO READ THE INTERNAL CODES IS THE NEXT LOGICAL STEP.

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Actually, I'd say that was the logical step before replacing both the speed sensors.

Reply to
Joe

I agree, but you can't undo what was already done...so this is the next logical step before replacing any additional parts.

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I had the computer scanned at a Dodge dealer and they charged me $81 to tell me third gear had gone out. I told him that when I drove in. He said it would cost around $2500 to rebuild it. I guess now it's the junk yard for a transmission.

Reply to
Wayne