’94 Jeep Grand Cherokee rumbling sounds

Whenever I drive my jeep recently, there is severe rumbling that sounds almost EXACTLY like train wheels when they go over the tracks and there?s that periodic thud while riding in one. The jeep?s an old

1994, but it?s only got 63,000 miles on it, although the bottom is entirely rusted out. I think it?s something stuck in the 4 wheel drive chain(s), or the rusted shocks could be causing it. The rumbling doesn?t cause the ride to be bumpy, but when reaching higher speeds, you can clearly feel the vibrations. Also, the rumbling is alot less while going uphill then vs. downhill, which is why I think it might be the shocks on the back wheels. what seems to be the problem?

edit: also, more importantly, is it safe to put off the repairs (cause I need to get it checked no matter what) for about 6 weeks? It drives normally in terms of control and doesn?t serve more or anything, but I need access to the car everyday, including weekends for the next 6 weeks so I can?t afford to put it in the shop for a few days until then...is this a good idea?

Reply to
mystimine90

archive:

Jeeps have notorious rear differential problems. Does the noise come from the back?

Also the exhaust hanger has a habit off rusting out by the transmission over the cross member. When this happens it makes all sorts of noise over all sorts of driving conditions. But this noise is very apparent right under front seats only. Is this where your noise is coming from?

Reply to
motoron