94 Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission

Hi there,

I have a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Recently I have some problems with the automatic transmission.

It has little power to start moving in D gear. It is impossible to start moving if I stoped in an uphill position. However, once it reaches 10-15 mph, everything seems to be fine.

If I put the manual shift lever to 2 or 1, it has no initiation problem.

A transmissioin shop guy checked for me and told me that I need to rebuild the whole transmission.

I suspect somehow the transmission can not shift to 1st gear somehow. Could it be a kickdown valve problem? I was able to take out the valve body. From what I understand, the kickdown valve malfunction may cause problems like this.

By the way, inside the transmission, the kickdown valve is not in close contact with the throttle valve linkage when the gas pedal is released, is this normal? Should the kickdown valve be pushed all the way out by the spring and in contact with the throttle valve lever dan when the gas pedal is released?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Hongbing

Reply to
HB

There is another newsgroup rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys and they might be able to help you too. Bob

somehow.

Reply to
BeeP

Thanks a lot Steve. This is very helpful.

This is a 4.0L L6. The transmission code is 42RE. The engine strain at low RPM, but the car still not move as if something is binding. In a uphill stop situation, the car will not move ahead. But if I put the gear to 2, it can move. I just found out that the overdrive switch did not work. I know that this is a electronically controlled transmission.

Any more advise or comments?

HB

Reply to
HB

Sorry for the delay, been out of town for a few days.

I wish someone that knew more about the Asin-Warner tranny would pipe up, because I know no specifics about it. But if the O/D switch had a problem, it might have been preventing proper downshifting so that you were effectively trying to take off in 4th gear. Just a thought

Reply to
Steve