94 Lebaron Convertible.. Oil?

First, let me start by saying this is my first Mopar.

This car has a 3.0L, and I've been given different advice on oil to use.

I typically go with Pennzoil, but am open to suggestions.

One person told me to use 5w/30, while someone else said 15w/30.

I use 5w/30 in my wifes Taurus, which has a 3.0L.

Any ideas?

Thanks Steve

Reply to
SMoo

Congratulations! I have always liked LeBaron convertibles, and the 3.0L carries this car well.

I personally do not care for Pennzoil. Seems like every time I use it the oil "darkens" faster and the lifters "tick" more (or longer) on cold starts than with any other oil. I prefer Valvoline, but other oils like Castrol or Mobil 1 work good too.

This depends on how many miles are on the engine. 5W30 may be too thin if the motor has a lot of miles, and if you live in a hot climate (Arizona). 10W30 would be a good choice, especially in the Summer.

Hope this helps!

Reply to
N.Cass

I really wish you'd gotten one with a Mopar engine, you'd get a better first impression than you will with this car.

Which is a Mitsubishi engine. Its got a very reliable bottom end (crank, rods block) and a TERRIBLE top end (rings, valves, valve guides). No matter what oil you run, it will probably become a blue-smoking oil burner before it hits 150,000 miles. Using a top quality synthetic if it doesn't ALREADY burn a lot of oil may delay the inevitable with that engine.

Pennzoil used to be awful, but in the past 3-5 years they've really stepped up their product. If I were going with a non-synthetic oil, though, I'd go with Castrol GTX. In synthetics, I prefer Mobil 1.

Use whatever the owners manual recommends as far as oil weight. Probably

10w30, but check the manual and follow it.
Reply to
Steve

The car has 106,000 miles on it, and during the summer here in Texas, it does get pretty warm.

This is 2 suggestions that contain Castrol, so I think I'll try Castrol GTX...

Reply to
SMoo

:)

My first impression of Mopar, which lead me to leave the Ford arena, was a Dodge Dart project car I'm helping a buddy with...

It soon will have a 528 Hemi in it... I still think it should be a split rear window Cuda, but no one listens to me until there are a few hundred hours of work done already...

Reply to
SMoo

Probably because there is no such thing as a "split rear window Cuda".

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Oh, well then you should love this:

Steve

There COULD be... in the hot-rod arena anything is possible... :-)

Reply to
Steve

...and the ability of people to chop up perfectly good cars into endless varieties of stupid-lookin' idiotmobiles is, well, endless.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I've never seen 15W30. If you have an owner's manual, use what it recommends. I'm guessing it is either 5W-30 or 10W-30. I'd use 5W in the winter and 10W in the summer, unless you are in a warm climate and then I'd use 10W-30 all year around. I'm partial to synthetics and use Mobil 1, but almost any quality oil will do. Just don't buy the no-name brands at Wal-Mart.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

A 426 Hemi.. How cute :)

I'm kidding.. Pretty sweet. I'm not much of an authority on led sleds, but it looks pretty well done..

I'll have to get photos of my friends 69 Charger.. Yes, we've got the rebel flag decal ordered...

Reply to
SMoo

In your location I would recommend 10W-30 not 5W-30. Avoid 10W-40 (too much viscosity index improver). Your name-brand oil has good reputation. A change to a pure synthetic or away from pure synthetic is not always a great idea in a high mileage motor, since I have seen changes either way causing gasket leaks.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

My opinion too. IIRC, it was actually a Keith Black aluminum Hemi. Plus ANY street rod at a show that is NOT powered by a mouse motor gets an extra thumbs up from me. I've been known to vote for a T-bucket in slightly poorer overall condition JUST because it had a nail-head Buick powerplant instead of a Chevy mouse.

And a thousand Charger owners just gritted their teeth and cursed.. :-/

Reply to
Steve

Is this better?

SMoo

Steve wrote in news:Taqdnca snipped-for-privacy@texas.net:

I prefer customs and street rods with the same brands of engines they came from the factory with, But any Chevy with a non-chevy always gets a grin from me due to the 99.99% of Ford rods suffering the embarrasment of GM power under their hoods.

One of the neatest doubletake inducing setups I've seen in a rod was a 302 Ford motor with custom adapters holding on CHEVY embossed chrome valve covers. I've also seen a Ford rod with a Chevy engine and phonied up FORD valve covers. (Boooo! Hisss!)

Even better was a 30-something Chevy custom with a complete Dodge drivetrain and suspension transplant. :)

But I've never, ever seen a Chevy custom or rod with Ford power, but a large number of all makes will have a Ford 9" rearend, or clone thereof.

Reply to
GAlan