94 plymouth voyager kills when put in gear

Just happened yesterday. Van starts and idles fine, but when it's put in any gear it will kill immediately. Could it be a vacuum problem? Nothing unusual soundwise. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

Reply to
crystalblues

NewMan
3.3L 6cyl
Reply to
crystalblues

Damn. That is the same engine I have, and it is solid as a rock.

I cannot make any specific comment on this problem with this engine. However, in the past when I have had this kind of problem, it has been spark related.

Have a look under the hood and make sure that all connectors are in place and plugged in.

Use Google and read teh FAQ for this newsgroup. It wil tell you how to use the ignition key to activate the feature for reading the codes from the "Check Engine" light, it will tell you how to read the codes, and then you can cross reference the codes you read to the list of codes in the FAQ to get a starting point (hopefully). In this vintage, not all problems actually set codes in the computer.

Beyond that, I really think you are best off getting it to a shop that has the proper diagnostic equipment. It sounds like it would be something simple to fix, but it may not be simple to find.

hth

Reply to
NewMan

Don't you mean cam sensor? Wouldn't a bad crank sensor just make the engine not run at all, but bad cam sensor might screw with the spark advance the computer is giving and thus little engine power? And does a bad crank sensor set a code on that, mine didn't. I think you said one time to replace both if one fails, since they usually die close to each other.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt