95 caravan stalled will not restart

I have a 95 caravan 3.0 Ltr with about 128k miles on engine. Runs very well until last night.

Was on the way home with the family on the interstate and traffic came to a slow stop/go crawl briefly (15 minutes) while an accident was cleared ahead. At one point traffic came to a stop and as we started to move again got up to about 25mph and suddenly nothing (total loss of power). Coasted in neutral and restarted, again begin to accelerate and again just stalled. Coasted off to the shoulder and now will turn over, but would not restart.

Just over 1/4 tank of fuel, No trouble code using ignition method, everything looked good under the hood (what you can check standing at the side of the road any way).

I have had it towed to a local garage and they are to look at it this morning. Unfortunately this is one problem where they could call and say anything from bad coil to blown head gasket (though the gasket would be a long shot I think).

Thinking maybe Fuel Pump, TPS or IAC Motor. Up until the point it stalled was running smooth and quiet. Anyone have any ideas what else may be a most likely cause.

TIA

PC Medic

Reply to
PC Medic

"PC Medic" wrote

Looks like most likely a fuel problem, if accelerated briefly. Besides pump, you could have a blockage in the tank i.e. a piece of debris sloshing around and lodging on the intake. Or your injector could be seizing up. Have you cleaned it regularly?

Tests are simple: pull a plug and check for spark. Open top of throttle body and check for fuel injection.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Reply to
sidewinder

Always adviseable with a sudden won't start to disconnect the main power (either the battery negative terminal or the quick-disconnect on the positive cable) for a couple minutes, reconnect, attempt to start the vehicle and THEN check the flash codes. Frequently this will turn up a code 11, which indicates trouble with the distributor's optical (in the

3.0) trigger or the wires between the engine control computer and the distributor.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Not necessarily.

No. This is not a '61 Rambler!

There are six injectors on a 3.0, and it's highly unlikely they're "seizing up".

This, once again, is not a '61 Rambler; pulling a spark plug is schlock. It also is not an '88 Aries that has an injector visible by "opening the top of the throttle body".

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
harry martinko

Already checked and getting fuel, but no spark.

Reply to
PC Medic

Already checked and getting fuel but no spark

Reply to
PC Medic

"Daniel J. Stern" wrote

Huh? I never owned a 61 Rambler but any vehicle (particularly one 9 model years old) can have problems with fuel tank debris. It's just less common now.

Oops, didn't read the post carefully enough . I was thinking of my 92 Voyager, which had a 2.5 with TB.

There's nothing wrong with checking for a spark the old-fashioned way. It'll tell you real quick.

Reply to
Dave Gower

I have an 89 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.0L engine. Some years ago, while traveling at highway speed, I experienced a sudden engine cutout for about a second or two, followed by normal running for about a minute until I pulled off the road, and then nothing. It was the fuel pump.

Reply to
eldred30

Bingo! Give this man a cigar.

That's exactly what it turned out to be. Sure was easier (and cheaper) in the old days when they were mounted under the hood.

Thanks to all that replied.

Reply to
PC Medic