95 caravan transmission

I have a 95 caravan (3.0Ltr) 4 speed with 157k miles on it (I know high mileage, but can not afford to replace right now)

A while back it developed a transmission leak that I still have not quite placed where it leaking from. Best I can tell so far is somewhere to the upper rear area of where it mounts up to the engine. Any way this leak has worsened considerably the past few days and now after operating (a few hours) it begins to exhibit the rough 'bump' down to first at a stop. If I get stuck in traffic it can get so bad as to not drop back at all (like neutral) for 2 - 3 seconds after a stop and then a lurch as it drops down. Stuck too long in traffic and eventually goes to limp mode.

While I am real handy and do all of my engine work, breaks, AC, etc myself, transmissions are uncharted territory to me as far as DIY is concerned. I know it obviously needs service, but the extent is what I am not so sure of and with low finances due to current health issues and the fact that 'reputable tranny shops in my area can be tricky to find, so here is my question for anyone with tranny experience.......

Do these symptoms sound like it is toast and nothing but a rebuild will help?

Is it possible a fluid/filter change could solve the rough shift issue (been about 50k since last done? I was thinking it might but do not want to waste the money if it is not a possible fix.

Any common things to look for on this engine/tranny combo for leaking issues in the area I described? Had thought maybe solenoid pack but believe this is wrong area for that as I think it is on the side towards front of vehicle (still looking for my service manual to confirm that).

Any help appreciated as I am trying to squeak what life I can out of this thing till my situation improves.

TIA

Reply to
PC Medic

What kind of transmission fluid are you putting in to replace what is leaking out? If it is not ATF +3 or ATF +4 then you are causing the problem with the wrong fluid.

Get it scanned or buy a scantool off Ebay and do it yourself, the trans will have a code of what is failing. Actually your smartest thing to do here to try to save this tranny is to go immediately to a Chrysler dealership and have the trans scanned for codes and to get the CVI readings, and then have the trans computer's firmware flash-updated. Then, take it home and do a fluid flush and replace any sensors that might turn up as bad in the error codes, see:

Also, this vehicle is an OBD-1 setup, the do-it-yourself scantools that cost $100 in the auto parts stores will NOT work with it, those are OBD-II devices.

As an additional note, if this fixes it, one benefit of the newer firmware is that it will give you better mileage.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I agree with Ted on type of fluid and suggested change of it and the filter. Also, on the leak, check the transmission cooling hoses. These are common cause and not too difficult to fix.

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Always ATF+3

Flash update was done shortlyafter I purchased the vehicle (about 40k miles) when they did a filter/fluid change to stop Torque Shudder.

Reply to
PC Medic

Thanks to both for the replies. I was thinking possibly the cooling lines to as I believe the connection is in that area (still have to really get under there) and it may explain why more prominent when driven for period of time (heats up). Just a guess though.

Reply to
PC Medic

How long ago was that? There's probably been updates since.

You really got to get it scanned. Going into limp mode most definitely sets a code, or multiple ones.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt