95 Concord 3.5 Cold Start Problem

When the temp is 35 or colder it wont start, it tries. When the temp is warmer fires right up and runs great. I got fault code for lean 02 sensor and replaced them both. I get no fault codes(12) but nothing for the EMC. Are there any other ways of checking out the computer? I have the shop manual but not the electronics addendum. Thanx.

Reply to
Dodgem33

I had a bad idle when cold problem on an '89 Shadow 2.5 L. It showed no codes. Someone told me to re-torque the throttle body to the manifold, and that straightened it right out. I don't know if it will help you, but it won't cost you anything, and it may work. What was happening in my cicumstance is that when it was cold it idled terribly, (there was a slight air leak between the throttle body and the manifold and it ran too lean). Once it warmed up the parts expanded and it ran great. Re-torquing the throttle body fixed it right up.

Reply to
Snydley

Further probing of the computer requires a scan-tool.

That said, there are a few possiblilites that spring to mind. If you make the assumption that, "Hmm, maybe those O2 sensors weren't really bad, but were actually SEEING a lean mixture..." there are a few things that can cause that while leaving drivability pretty much normal. Check the fuel pressure and see if its in spec. The computer doesn't actually measure the volume of fuel it injects, it makes an assumption about what the fuel pressure is and then gates the injectors long enough to put in the right amount of fuel. If the fuel pressure is low, the mixture will be lean. IF the fuel pressure bleeds off overnight, that can further aggravate cold starting first thing in the AM. If the fuel pressure is in spec, you might have a vacuum leak somewhere that could lean it out enough to make starting difficult. Also, the charge air temperature sensor or the computer's coolant temperature sensor could be faking the computer into always thinking the engine or intake air is hotter than it really is, and the computer would lean out to compensate (or more specifically, fail to enrich enough to start when its cold.)

Reply to
Steve